Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by beb off-site
  • (unregistered id: A678E20E7F)
Emotionally this is a big callback to the first season ep "Tag Sale, You're it." In that story the Monarch is trying to find some way of humiliating Doc Venture but comes to the realization that Rusty is such a failure at everything he's done that there's nothing the Monarch could do to make him feel worse.

In "The devil's Grip" is looks as if the Monarch is being to think he, too, is a terrible failure. And the way he keeps looking at the photo of him and Doc playing as children is clearly haunting him. Is he mourning his lost childhood or wondering how he ended up hating his childhood chum so intently.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:25pm
this one was so deep. i could see the monarch trying to be friends with doc after this. maybe even quitting the villain thing for a minute. all the pieces are in place: no more cocoon, dr gf possibly joining the council, and realization that his job is kinda pointless. of course rusty would try to ignore monarch's attempts at friendship. i can't believe they actually had a heart to heart
Jul. 22, 2013, 2:52pm
Yeah, I didn't buy his bragging to Dr. Mrs. the Monarch, at all. As he was talking about how much more difficult and painful it is to crush a man's soul, I felt that he was really talking about himself. But hey, I could be wrong.
Jul. 22, 2013, 3:03pm
The thing is, did he even really crush Doc's soul? Doc seemed more bummed about the Monarch giving up than he did about his own life. They had a little moment when the Monarch let him go but it's not like it was a revelation for Doc that his life is kind of shitty. I almost want to think the things the Monarch said to Doc were genuine and he was putting on a brave face for Dr. Mrs. (so to speak). As said, his focus on the photo before she came in was sort of a tell on that end. We'll see, I guess!
Jul. 22, 2013, 3:44pm
  • by Hungry Hippo
  • (unregistered id: B46DDD1FCA)
I'd like to think the Monarch had this plan to crush Venture's soul from the get go. Doc did say it was worse than torture.
Jul. 22, 2013, 4:42pm
No, I don't think the Monarch crushed Doc's soul, at all. What Monarch said to Doc was real; that's why Doc was so bummed out by it. I think he felt genuine pity for the Monarch, at least in that moment. And the Monarch's speech to Dr. Girlfriend seemed to me to be (1) an attempt to save face with her; and (2) a sort of Freudian revelation about his own soul being crushed.

In any event, it should be interesting to see what season six holds for the Monarch.
Jul. 22, 2013, 5:58pm
  • by gnormie
  • (unregistered id: 5506A87A93)
The Monarch can't crush Rusty's soul...life already did that.
Jul. 23, 2013, 9:38pm
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
"What can I do to this guy that life hasn't already?"
Jul. 28, 2013, 8:41pm
I think he was putting on a brave face for his wife as well. He usually talks to Dr. Venture in the over the top way, and rarely lets anyone see his other side. He told Rusty about Dr. Mrs. likely joining the guild, the Moppets taking over, and Gary quitting, with Doc being the FIRST person besides Dr. Mrs. that he's talked about any of that to.
Jul. 24, 2013, 5:55pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Eldarpvn unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 7:01pm
  • Eldarchm unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 4:12pm
  • Eldardjo unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 3:42pm
  • Eldarqex unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 9:57am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites