Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

I gotta say this season on reflection has really fell flat for me. It's like they are building to things and then just nothing, the resolved a few things but just left things hanging. this episode seemed like a B plot for a real episode. does anyone know is they are doing the split season thing like last time or was that actually a 10 episode ( counting the Halloween episode) if it is that is pretty lame after the wait we had to endure. hire some more freaking writer and voice actors for shit sake you have bill hader who ios a comedy writer, get us a season in a timely fashion. I know this is kinda a rant but i love this fucking show and i just feel kinda crest fallin this year
Jul. 22, 2013, 3:45am
ok so i need to read my posts before submiting, sorry for the shitty grammer
Jul. 22, 2013, 3:47am
Well, at that point it becomes a matter of quantity versus quality. Sure, there would be more episodes, but would they be as good?

But yeah, I do feel like a lot of stuff wasn't covered this season, and it ultimately feels kinda empty, but at least the episodes we did get were all fun.

Also, holy cow, we actually met someone's mother? I mean, who was the last mother we even knew of in this show? Dr. friggen Quimm?
Jul. 22, 2013, 12:47pm
Hank met Dermott's Mom. . . .
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:11pm
Also, Triana's mom, Quymn's mom, we've heard Gary's mom's voice, Sally Impossible is a mom, and now we've seen Monarch's mom twice in photo/speedboat and should get more of her next season...They're not completely absent, but it is a letdown-of-a-father-&-absent-mother driven show.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:42pm
Man, I don't know. In terms of raw quality this, to me, has been the strongest season ever. I was trying to think which episode I would classify as the weak one and I can't come up with one. "Momma's Boys", maybe? "Venture Libre"? I don't even know. Both of those episodes are great, too.

I mean, we got answers on the Council of 13, a definitive answer on Myra, insight into Doc's character, the boys both know that they're clones, the Monstroso/Molotov thing was resolved, we saw a nice arc on 21's character, new bad guys, returning bad guys, some adventuring, Hank as The Bat and as Enrico Matassa, everyone knows Dermott's story now, HELPeR is normal again, a Doc/Monarch connection revealed. Lots of stuff. Sure some questions were brought up, but what fun is it if there aren't any mysteries?

I get that people want, like, non-stop Venture Bros every week forever, but that's just not a thing that can happen. If we are at the point where practically every episode is a contender for Best Episode Ever then I am fine with waiting a year or two between seasons if I have to. I have other stuff I can do in the meantime, so they can work on making an amazing show and when it's ready for viewing then I'll watch it and it'll be awesome. There's really nothing to be gained by being all impatient about it. Just enjoy what there is and be happy knowing that there will eventually be some more.
Jul. 22, 2013, 3:42pm
Yeah I hear what your saying, It just didn't feel like there was a lot of substance to me. I don't have anything I ever talk about after the fact in this season, it is just huh that was an episode. I don't want venture time everyday to infinity, but having it on a regular schedule would be great, after 5 seasons these guys seem to be getting a little mined out, this whole season has kinda been a insiders ride. You cant really go "hey friend who hasn't seen this show before, come watch this new episode" If you did you would have to sit there the whole time explaining things from every other season, and not like a few things like every single relationship and background element. I really think it is time to bring on other people to help them out, I think it would yield a better show for us and a more marketable product for them
Jul. 22, 2013, 6:32pm
Well I agree with that statement, though I disagree on the substance, I think there was a ton of it. The series is good at paying off for people who have seen the entire thing. That's just the nature of a serial thing though. You get invested in it from the start and it pays off with reveals about characters. Characters change and evolve over time, die, go off and do other things for a while etc. To me that's a major reason the show has been able to stay fresh, because when Jackson and Doc don't know what to do with a character they put them in a new role. They mix things up. Brock staying as Brock from season one would be boring. Hank and Dean being gullible morons is a funny gag for a season but it would become an old schtick and so on.

That of course comes at the detriment of roping in new people immediately, but I think having a bunch of standalone episodes that don't tie into each other at all would be less interesting and certainly stagnate. You have to buy into the premise of the show and the bar for entry naturally gets higher with each passing season, but once you're invested then you're hooked for life.

I think, given the somewhat small audience on Adult Swim coupled with the smaller budget of the show precludes any of your other suggestions from happening. Shows with a huge team of writers and less imposing continuity inevitably stagnate. Every episode is just a series of jokes, and characters don't really grow or change and eventually it just loses its charm.
Jul. 22, 2013, 6:58pm
To add to Mike's [PBUH--Ed.] comment--if a show "sticks" with a joke, it becomes stale. WAYYYYY back, when South Park had . . . yes . . . video tapes! The "commentary" for the first season had Trey and Matt claim that Kenny "must die" in every episode.

Well, as the series continued, they realized the joke would become stale. So they adapted it. So if ALL The MONARCH [!--Ed.] was was a parody of a Batman--Adam West--villain, it would get boring fast. If all Dr. Girlfriend was--"sexy babe with husky voice"--boring! Doc and Jackson have been humble enough to move on, adapt. Heck, in one of their commentaries they claimed they thought Sgt. Hatred and his pedophilia was hilarious--perhaps doing the voice? They responded to fan complaints.
Jul. 23, 2013, 4:32am
They still love Hatred a lot, I just think they laid off the pedophilia stuff a little and the story this season took them different places so that it was less at the forefront.
Jul. 23, 2013, 11:41am
  • by Ghobbi
  • (unregistered id: 783EBB2100)
They also gace us Gary's 8-minute summation of Seasons 1-4, which I think was probably a conscious attempt to address the very roping-in-new-people problem you refer to. And they did a great job of it too.
Jul. 23, 2013, 10:53am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Jaowela unlocked One Year Later Mar. 27, 2024, 1:40pm
  • Antoniohkl unlocked One Year Later Mar. 23, 2024, 11:49pm
  • Antoniogux unlocked One Year Later Mar. 23, 2024, 7:14pm
  • Antonioonk unlocked One Year Later Mar. 23, 2024, 10:53am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites