Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by Mairmoto
  • (unregistered id: B455B99B4F)
the episode seem a bit slow, but ahhhhhhh loved the ending, the look on everyone's faces qhen Dermott called Dr. Venture Dad, greatest family moment
Jul. 8, 2013, 3:26am
You thought so? I thought Dermott's reaction to learning he's a Venture was really out of character. Dermott seems to hate Doc, what with Doc's constant attempts to teach him manners, make him do chores, etc. And Dermott clearly clashes with Dean. The prospect of being related to Doc and Dean should have driven Dermott crazy, but he didn't act like it was a big deal, at all.
Jul. 8, 2013, 3:39am
Dermott has been looking for a Dad. As you remember, his "Mom"--Grandmom--told Dermott who his Dad was. Unless she lied and said it was Brock, but that would not make sense.

Dermott probably did not believe it, and Doc certainly tried to hide it. He received proof from DoCTOR ORPHEUS!!!1!!

What brother does not fight with his brother.

In other words, great episode. You must now stand in the corner while we throw fish at you.
Jul. 8, 2013, 4:01am
"Unless she lied and said it was Brock . . . ."

I think that's exactly what happened. In "Tears of a Sea Cow," we get the scene where Hank and Dermott are camping on the lawn and listening to music. When Dermott finds out that the casette they're listening to is Brock's, his demeanor suddenly changes, and he asks if he can have it. Then later, when he and the Monarch's henchmen confront each other, he says, "Would you believe I'm Brock Samson's long-lost son?" I don't think there's any question we're meant to believe that Dermott has been told Brock is his father, or at least that he has misinterpreted his mom's "You wanna meet your daddy, he's right up the road" to mean that Brock is his father.

And as someone who has brothers, I know that brothers fight. It's different, though, when you don't KNOW the person you're fighting with is your brother. I just think a real reaction would have been surprise or denial or something.
Jul. 8, 2013, 10:31am
  • by Ghobbi
  • (unregistered id: 8A956CCA4E)
She told Dermott that his dad could be found at Rusty's Day Camp, but didn't name him, expecting him to meet Doc and realise that he was his father, and instead he got it wrong and assumed it was Brock. Then in Everybody Comes to Hank's he told Hank (off-camera) that Brock was his father - he wasn't lying, he was just genuinely mistaken.
Jul. 8, 2013, 12:03pm
Right, the misinterpretation possibility. Either way, Dermott really believed Brock was his father. That's why I think the reveal that he's a Venture--that Doc is his father--should have been more jarring.
Jul. 8, 2013, 12:15pm
  • by kijunshi
  • (unregistered id: A3B6538697)
My interpretation of the whole Dr O/Dermott reaction thing...

I am pretty sure that Dr. O remembers the whole truth - he saw the whole thing through the key, if you recall. He probably came when summoned by a Venture brother without realizing it was Dermott, then made a decision on the spot to reveal the truth to him (in his canny magic way). Dr Orpheus is one of the most stand-up characters on the show - he may have figured it was time already for Dermott to know the truth?

And as out-of-character as it seems for Dermott to take all this so calmly, upon further thought it makes a lot of sense. Dermott is desperately searching for his identity through the figure of his missing father - that's been his entire arc. At first, he was told it was Brock, but Hank and Al informed him he was mistaken during the Everybody Comes to Hank's episode. I think it might have been a relief in some ways...? I mean, they did absolutely hate each other during the one episode they interacted in.

Whereas on the other hand, to take on the identity of a Venture Brother means not only to be the literal brother of his best friend in the entire world, but also to be an heir to this awesome (in Dermott's eyes) world of super science and heroes and bad guys. And Doc has already been acting more fatherly toward him than any other man in his life. Frankly Dermott might be getting the best of him in that regard. Dean is... he's hiding in his room all the time so who cares.

Lastly (why do I always do 1000 word comments?), I think that the theme of the episode - mothers - also resonates in this sub-story too. Dermott and Dean are sharply contrasted in their reactions to life-changing secrets being revealed. Dean has been moping and floundering about for this entire season, making worse and worse life choices. Calling up Myra is arguably the nadir, at least at this point. But it's also very illustrative. He took a potential risk with his life - cautious Dean! - because of how much he wanted a mother figure. Whereas Dermott casually accepted the news from Orpheus as a good thing, and a step up in life. Reason being: He already *has* a mother (really his grandmother, but), an involved mother, who loves him and supports him. He even comments off-handedly that she made him sign up for some sort of anti-alcohol thing, which is not something a hands-off parent does. She also picks him up whe he needs a ride, and probably helped him get his job. Dermott has a secure base already, which isn't quite enough, but it's worlds beyond what Dean has. Dean and Hank may be the "heirs" to the world of Venture, but Dermott has the most important thing already... at least from Dean's point of view. Hank is blissfully happy right where he is :)
Jul. 8, 2013, 7:45pm
I think it helps to keep in mind just how full of shit the average Dermott really is. Not just about judo or guitar skills, but his overall demeanor.

Consider the way he acts around Hank, and the fact that he actually manages to hold a job, and follows his (grand)mother's curfew. Deep, deep down, there's a sweet little kid in there.
Jul. 8, 2013, 4:10am
That and I think the Powers That Be modify, adapt, expand characters as they need. For some reason, they loved the Moppets and promoting Sgt. Hatred's pedophilia--they listened to the fan response and diminished both. So Dermott just may have started as the stereotypical neighborhood douche who always has a story and an excuse and found him a useful addition.

Or I am over thinking this again. This is a very nice wine. . . .
Jul. 8, 2013, 5:10am
  • by beb off-site
  • (unregistered id: A678E20E7F)
If they were listening to the fans I think Sgt hatred would have disappeared half way through season half. As for downplaying his pedophilia I suspect the network was involved in that.
Jul. 8, 2013, 10:10am
That's a fair interpretation. I'm just saying that, for me, Dermott's reaction read as false. That would be a big reveal for any kid, but it would be particularly huge for someone who--as someone pointed out above--is looking for a father. No matter how full of s#!t, I can't imagine a real kid taking things so calmly.
Jul. 8, 2013, 10:35am
It's possible that Dermott already knew and this was just him finally confirming it. He may have just idolized Brock because Brock is cool as an unrelated thing (that also happened to be misdirection).
Jul. 8, 2013, 11:18am
I guess that's possible. But it sure seems like Dermott believed Brock to be his father. In addition to the stuff from "Tears of a Sea Cow," there's "Everybody Comes to Hank's," in which he tells Hank that Brock is his father. It just seemed that Dermott's belief was real, at least initially.
Jul. 8, 2013, 11:37am
  • by Ghobbi
It may just be that Dermott now realises he has leverage with the Ventures - he's the oldest brother and the son that Doc abandoned, and if he wants to be selfish about that and milk it then he now has the opportunity. He could even blackmail Doc - I don't know about the statute of limitations in Ventureverse Colorado but is there still a possibility Doc could go down for statutory rape? There's probably still a fair amount of value in the Ventures' land and Jonas Sr.'s legacy.
Jul. 8, 2013, 12:41pm
  • by Ghobbi
Plus Dermott isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He may have just realised how much of a shock his big revelation would be to his father and brothers, and not considered the blackmail possibilities. Evidently I'm a much more devious b**tard than he is...
Jul. 8, 2013, 12:42pm
  • by Blixa Barfgold & Homeless Travel Pillow Patsy
  • (unregistered id: D64EF29795)
Dermott was messing with Doc's head, jaw drop moment. "You bonked my mom, she was 15, douche". They all treat Doc like a jerky authority figure more than a dad at this point. He's now acting like a dad, before it was the nanny-men doing all the work.
Jul. 8, 2013, 12:08pm
I'm with you in that Dermott was messing with Doc's head in the post-credits scene. My problem was with the actual reveal (i.e., the Orpheus scene). Dermott barely reacts to the news.

Oh, and I don't think Dermott knows Nikki is his mom. We haven't had any indication that he's learned the truth about that. I'm sure he still thinks his grandmother is his mom.
Jul. 8, 2013, 12:19pm
  • by Ghobbi
Oh yeah...and Hank and Dean don't know Nikki is Dermott's mother either. So now everyone thinks Doc slept with Dermott's 'mom',,,Dermott included. He probably thinks he's really embarrassed Doc with his revelation, not realising the truth about his own lineage.
Jul. 8, 2013, 12:45pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Julimwt unlocked One Year Later Apr. 25, 2024, 8:57pm
  • Julifpv unlocked One Year Later Apr. 25, 2024, 6:28pm
  • Julineb unlocked One Year Later Apr. 25, 2024, 10:30am
  • Juliywr unlocked One Year Later Apr. 25, 2024, 5:18am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites