Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by The Mysterious 'H'
Ok, Momma's Boys- the friendship is with the Monarch, who wants to find out what happened with the photo. Friends with the arch may be too much. Don't know why Gary's getting commited but I agree that it's probably Hank (unless Black Hand shows up). Dean's relationship will end the emo phase but might give him a disease.

Bot Seeks Bot- My vote is Wild Fop for the council member. Seeing as Billy's involved, St. Cloud might finally step up his game and be the cause of Doc's presumed death. Perhaps a sale gone wrong?

The Devil's Grip- Doc's not dead (or at least an alternate Doc or clone will return). One of the godfathers (probably Hank's) is Billy and White. The other, I'm saying JJ.
Jun. 30, 2013, 1:04am
I actually figured Momma's Boys would be about the boy's mother, with said friendship in the synopsis referring to Doc becoming irritated with Hank and Dermott. Along that same line of thinking, I couldn't help but think that Dean's 'mystery date', excuse me, 'woman', could be Myra. Maybe they're talking on the Venture equivalent of tumblr, unbeknownst to Dean, hell if I know.
Jun. 30, 2013, 3:11am
Could it be the (implied) childhood Monarch/Rusty friendship?

You'd think the Monarch would be the one bothered by any related secrets, though.
Jun. 30, 2013, 12:44pm
  • by beb-off-site
  • (unregistered id: A678E20E7F)
From the preview after OSI Love You I would agree that Dean is getting phone calls from someone who claims to be his mother. But I doubt that it is Myra because Dean's already met her at least once and knows her to be way-crazy.
Jul. 1, 2013, 8:17am
  • by MorsSyphilitica
  • (unregistered id: 2FC3530EF9)
Except Goth isn't emo.
Jul. 5, 2013, 8:47am
I'm not sure why so many posts refer to Dean's new look as "Goth." It's difficult to define any subculture, of course, but I think it's safe to say that the Goth subculture is most often associated with 80s bands like Bauhaus, The Cure, The Birthday Party, Echo and the Bunnymen, Love and Rockets, etc. And more recently, it's been extended to what I would call "deathrock" or "industrial" bands. Typically, these bands were/are associated with black clothing, heavy make-up (white face and dark features), and dark hair (often spiked up). It's a look that partly inspired by Victorian fashion and partly--I can only assume--by horror movies/imagery.

Dean is now wearing all black and has dyed his hair darker, but he doesn't wear face make-up and we haven't had any indication that he identifies with Goth bands. The only possible music connection that I can think of concerns Dean's line in "What Color Is Your Cleansuit?": "Black is what I feel, so black is what I wear." The line is reminiscent of a line from The Smith's song "Unloveable": "I wear black on the outside because it's how I feel on the inside." I don't know if the similarity is intentional--I've never heard Jackson or Doc voice appreciation for The Smiths/ Morrissey--but if it is, it would actually cut against labeling Dean a "Goth." The Smiths music, while undeniably dour, has never been associated with the Goth movement.

As for whether Dean's look is "emo," I can't really say. The term "emo" comes from the "emocore" movement, which swept through punk rock in the 80s. Now, I hear it applied to pretty much any band favoring black clothes or hair, regardless of musical influences. And I hear it applied to pretty much any teenager whose clothes didn't come from Abercrombie and Fitch! Maybe the post above refers to Dean's current phase as "emo" because of the amorphous nature of the term? Whatever the case, I would say that Dean is definitely struggling with some clone origin-related depression, but without more information, I don't think we can accurately label him Goth or emo (or something else).
Jul. 5, 2013, 8:49pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Leonwzb unlocked One Year Later Apr. 15, 2024, 8:57pm
  • Leoncye unlocked One Year Later Apr. 15, 2024, 7:01pm
  • Leonfke unlocked One Year Later Apr. 15, 2024, 4:36pm
  • Leonsri unlocked One Year Later Apr. 15, 2024, 9:20am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites