Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

Does anyone else feel that the Hatred flashback with the Soldier X injection thing was kind of a cop-out? Doc and JP must know that some fans have issues with the man's past and are uncomfortable with Courtney being a main character now, so they're trying to engender sympathy towards him by showing that the pedo thing wasn't his fault.

Overall, I like the big lug myself but I too have had some reservations about the pedo thing. Although never a victim myself, I knew a girl who had been, and I'm sure I can't begin to even imagine what she has been through and how that will effect her for the rest of her life, so I just don't feel that it is an appropriate subject for humor. That's just my personal feeling. Not trying to preach.

I respect the fact that Hatred does seem to genuinely want to change and overcome his compulsions, and takes his job as Venture bodyguard very seriously, and seems willing to lay down his life to protect them. "Cheetah-Man is like crazy fast! What was I thinking?" But I still feel this was a bit of a cop-out excuse. They should have left it as is and have him be able to put it behind him, with or without the OSI's help.
Jun. 13, 2013, 7:39pm
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
I agree with most of that. It's taking the easy way out a bit, making it some sort of side effect instead of something he was born with. Sometimes the best way to get through a difficult time or subject is through humor though. I know it's that way for me.
Jun. 14, 2013, 1:53am
"I still feel this was a bit of a cop-out excuse."

I agree. But as a cop-out, it's remarkably consistent with the themes/tone of the show. In an early interview, Jackson explained that real-life boy adventurers wouldn't "drop barrels on the frogmen" but would instead "get their throats cut." I think that sums up "The Venture Bros." nicely: it takes the adventurers, heroes, and villains we loved as kids and places them in the real world. Sgt. Hatred is no doubt a product of that approach. In the real world, two boys being dragged around the globe by their super-scientist father would run into at least one "bad-touch guy."

Placing the Captain America super-soldier experiment in the real world, one would expect some pretty terrible results. And that's what we see in flashback in "Venture Libre." So again, it was a cop-out, but it was one that remains true to the approach taken by Jackson and Doc from the beginning.

"I just don't feel that it is an appropriate subject for humor."

I agree, and I don't think we're alone in feeling so. Jackson and Doc have toned things down a bit, but if Hatred is going to remain a part of the show, I wish they'd just drop the subject. If "Friday Night Lights" could just act like a six-episode story about a sensational murder never happened, the guys can drop the Hatred-as-pedophile storyline!
Jun. 14, 2013, 3:31pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Eldarpvn unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 7:01pm
  • Eldarchm unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 4:12pm
  • Eldardjo unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 3:42pm
  • Eldarqex unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 9:57am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites