Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

"Ben Grimm's" references the character from the Fantastic Four known as "The Thing".

Probably should mention that Quenya and Sindari are elvish languages in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. (know this is pointed out in the show)

And while you're at pointing out references in the show...Martin Luther's 95 Theses posted in 1517 are referenced and Pete White gets Billy to fast-forward through his explanation and conclude with '1597' which was the year Lutheran Church was established.

The Monarch mentions the people have 4 arms like that "blue Hindu sculpture". Which must be a reference to Vishnu.

Matlock and Murder She Wrote were crime dramas in the late 80's to early 90's that were mostly targeting adults 40+.

Dean referencing "E-wok Village" was a Star Wars reference.

The Monarch references the old 1960's Hulk cartoon intro "now he's wrecking the town with the power of a bull, ain't no monster clown who is as lovable".

Remaining questions:
What was the 3-pointed symbol painted in blood over the Venture logo in the working
What was "Jessica" that Pete White was referencing?
The 4 armed people resemble something with their pointy ears and elongated head, but what?
The guys in the orange suits seem to resemble The Lizard from Spider-man. Confirmation?
"Lee-Hun-Took" is probably a reference to some movie or world.
St. Cloud having a wall of identical wigs to be cleaned and combed is a reference to something.
Billy says to St. Cloud "You must sterilize! Sterilize!" what is this referencing?
Jun. 11, 2013, 8:16pm
"his Jessica" refers to the main character in Murder She Wrote, Jessica Fletcher (played by Angela Lansbury).

Someone on twitter explained the spray paint, which is a Klingon logo. I didn't know either.

I couldn't find anything about Lee-Hun-Took. I originally thought it was Lee-Han-Took, which would have made it a weird LOTR/Star Wars thing, but I think it's probably just gibberish.

All the rest is good stuff, too, I will add it eventually!
Jun. 11, 2013, 8:30pm
I can field a few of these questions. (Dons geek hat)

"What was the 3-pointed symbol painted in blood over the Venture logo in the working" - Looks to me to be sort of like the symbol of the Klingon Empire.

""Lee-Hun-Took" is probably a reference to some movie or world." - My guess, as I mentioned in the main comments, is that it's taken from a combination of Bruce Lee, Attila the Hun, and Perigrin Took, all being most righteous dudes. But there could be other possibilities.

"St. Cloud having a wall of identical wigs to be cleaned and combed is a reference to something." - Possibly from the first Superman movie with Christopher Reeve. Lex Luthor (as played by Gene Hackman) had a bunch on wigs in his lair. Either Watch or Ward (I get those two mixed up) said it was "very Lex Luthor" of him to use his real name as his villain name, so the wig thing makes sense.

"Billy says to St. Cloud "You must sterilize! Sterilize!" what is this referencing?" - Captain Kirk's line to Nomad in "The Changeling" to get it to destroy itself as it was otherwise nearly invulnerable.
Jun. 11, 2013, 8:59pm
Thanks for the answers! Your "Lee-Hun-Took" hypothesis doesn't really make any sense, but the others look good.
Jun. 11, 2013, 10:10pm
I'm not claiming that I'm definitively correct on the "Lee-Hun-Took" explanation, but please let me further explain my reasoning before dismissing it out of hand.

1. It's a society of college geeks and the Lee-Hun-Took is their leader / chosen one.
2. Bruce Lee kicked ass and is, or was, big with the college crowd, at least back in my day. He was sort of a leader in that he developed his own style of martial arts and started his own school and his legacy developed a CULT following.
3. I'm the least sure about the Attila the Hun part, but he was a powerful leader and kicked ass.
4. Peregrin Took went on to become the Thain (leader) of The Shire many years after the events in the LOTR concluded. And he did a little bit of ass kicking at the Battle of Gondor.

So, there you go. I know I'm probably reaching a bit on this, and I'd welcome some other possible explanations / theories, or better yet one from Doc and JP themselves. Anyone reading this who attends the VB panels at the cons take note!
Jun. 11, 2013, 11:16pm
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
Something related to the E-wok village note- when Dean becomes Lee-Hun-Took, the singing and dancing is a reference to the original (non-special edition) ending of Return Of The Jedi.
Jun. 12, 2013, 12:49am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Julivvh unlocked One Year Later Apr. 24, 2024, 10:32am
  • Julieod unlocked One Year Later Apr. 24, 2024, 5:43am
  • Juliimc unlocked One Year Later Apr. 24, 2024, 4:18am
  • Julibql unlocked One Year Later Apr. 23, 2024, 10:57am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites