Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by kijunshi
  • (unregistered id: 0E2BDA0AF2)
OK, as a long-lurking fan, I'm going to indulge myself and write a stupidly long comment outlining my best guesses about what's going down this upcoming season, based on hints in this (amazing) Halloween special.

--Hatred's boobs - think the commenter above nailed it; chemical castration seems to be the reason. Which most likely means that pedophilia jokes are over, at least for now. Which ALSO means that he is most likely *not* with Princess Tinyfeet in any way...

--Doc changing his attitude to Dermott - wouldn't be surprised if this is referenced in the season opener next spring. I wonder if there was any phone call to the Fictel house or any other, uh, consultation that took place after the realization? Probably not.

--Dean being goth - oh man, oh man. That is going to be THE thing in the season opening. I suspect there's going the be a new resistance to super science and to inheriting the Venture business right along with it... He's been the kid who's changed the least so far, so this is going to throw everyone for a loop. Unless Doc and Jackson do a cold-cut away from it (OK, that is also entirely possible) there is going to be some serious conflict with Rusty right off the bat.

--Related to that - how in god's name did Dean get Rusty's/Hatred's OK for the black speedsuit? I don't think you can just go buy one of those at Hot Topic...

--Also related to that - Dean made a crack about it "burning when he peed" and referenced a woman. Granted, it was just for a moment, but Rusty seemed to think this was *a thing that could actually happen*. I don't think he would have believed it in the middle of Season 4. Two possibilities: Dean actually hangs out with a new crowd (doubtful), or he's become even more withdrawn and less likely to spend time with anyone, and his Dad has no idea what the hell he does anymore. Oh, poor Dean ;_;

--Who else wants to bet money that Dean now includes a selection of badly-written emo poetry in that newspaper he prints? I'm in for $50.

--Brock - almost certainly off doing awesome shit for OSI. Probably doesn't visit all that often any more. Patrick Warburton didn't even seem to know the season's plot, which is a sign that he's not super-involved in it. I wonder if this will change for Season 6?

--Pete and Billy - still together, uh, probably not in that way, but you know what I mean. Still living together, despite Billy making noises about dumping his lame roommate late last season and gaining the means to be independent. I think there will be at least one episode referencing that this season.

--Dermott dressing up as The Crow was all kinds of hilarious. He's secretly super-dramatic on the inside, even as he projects very successfully the image of a douche. Ah teenagers!

--There's something a little touching about the thought that the friendship Hank currently has with Dermott was so important to him that he erased his own memory of the first time he had sex to preserve it. Yeah, it would have left a bad aftertaste no matter what, but watching this episode I was struck that the friendship was probably also a big factor.

--Deep irony that Dean was the one called a "baby" in this episode, but that he was the one whose childhood effectively ended through finding out about the clones.

--I'm certain that even though we didn't see it, Dean also found out the identity of his mother in the same conversation. It's been *the* animating question through the last 3 seasons, even though it's clear that Rusty has no intent of answering it, and I think the temptation of finally meeting someone who will give him a straight answer was too much to overcome. Given that, and given his dejected expression, I'm more certain than ever that his mother truly is Myra. I'm pretty sure he remembers her from Season 2. That means that not only was he thinking about his clone-ness, but also probably dealing with the end of the last of his fantasies that he had some sort of a female figure somewhere out there who would love him unconditionally - without trying to kidnap him or breastfeed him at 16, anyway. Ouch.

Weirdly enough I think that Rusty's decision to take the kids away from Myra was more loving and protective than the cloning - Myra was unstable from the beginning, probably snapped completely due to post-partum depression. She may have even tried to kill them (and didn't she succeed a few times, also?) Whereas the clones were more because Rusty wanted to keep living his father's lifestyle...

--The master - wtf? I thought he was the devil, but instead he ended up doing the morally right thing? Or perhaps he has his own reasons. Beyond human understanding and all.

--I have a feeling those yearly magical society meetings used to be a lot cooler back in the day.

--This series has all but spelled out that Orpheous got dumped by his wife because he couldn't satisfy her in bed, but holy cow, was this a signpost or what? Also: I'd thought that the relationship was on the rocks between Tatiana and the Outrider, but it looks like they're going strong again.

--I think that Ben will appear again in the series - as a guide to Dean if nothing else, as he's the only one in the entire series so far willing to talk straight to him (and even he uses words like "boo-boo", but maybe Dean just inspires that in people). I think there's a good chance that Dean could start to dabble in some black science this season as well.

--OK, I'll just call it - I think Season 5 is going to be for Dean what Season 4 was for Hank - hella loads of character development, ending with his destiny relatively clear ahead of him. Hank is pretty clearly going to be a successful business owner, most likely after a stint in OSI. He'll always be involved with and love this crazy lifestyle. I hope - hope hope hope - that Dean learns how to deal with it and escape it, but I suspect his arc will be a lot darker. I also suspect he will lose his virginity this season as well, and it will be just as awful as Hank's but in a different way.

And that's it... a thousand words on a Halloween special. Sigh. Why oh why do I love this show so much...
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:31am
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
Because it's a good show. I agree with the last 5 points but still have my doubts about what's happening with everything else. We'll have to see though ...
Nov. 2, 2012, 4:14am
  • by beb
  • (unregistered id: A678E20E7F)
Ben is very problematic for the series. He is a major character, living on the Venture Compound introduced in the fifth season. It's hard to believe that Hank and Dean have never violated their father's order to stay away from the old Potter place. They're death-prone kids; tell them not to run with scissors and they will run with scissors. So in 18 years they have never run into Ben before. And he doesn't look like the kind of guy who goes around mind-wiping people just because they learned an inconvenient truth. This is a major Retcon and I think it's a badly done one.

Myra has to be the boy's mother because she knows they're older than they think they are (Time lost warming up a new set of slugs). The question is, did she go insane before the boys were cloned, or because the boys were cloned. I think the latter. Burying your chldren one day and a month later being presented with ... "your sons" still alive would break a lot of people's minds.

And if Dean suffers from Fetia whatever like his father, does that mean he's carrying Jonas III inside him?
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:19pm
  • by Dave
  • (unregistered id: F19DE73B12)
More importantly regarding the Fetia (I forget what it is to but looked it up and it's a deformed fetal cyst), is does this mean it's a possible by product of cloning (since Ben knew about the cloning) and that Rusty may also be a clone?
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:47pm
Yeah if Ben and Jonas are the ones who perfected cloning then it's entirely possible they did so because Rusty died at some point.
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:59pm
  • by beb
  • (unregistered id: E931CDA98D)
Or that Jonas was sterile and needed an heir to continue the leadership of the Guild. Remember that Dean had to anoint Bowie as Soverign to end Phantom Limb's take-over attempt so So a son was vital for Jonas but for all his philandering there are no bastard Ventures, just the one and only Rusty (and his embedded twin Jonas, Jr.
Nov. 2, 2012, 6:26pm
  • by kijunshi
Are you *sure* there are no bastard Ventures? I can think of two pretty strong possibilities - Dr. Quym and the Monarch - right off the bat...

I personally thought that Jonas had an "oops" moment with one of his many women who couldn't or didn't want to take care of a child, and realized that he could make a profit (in the long term) off of Rusty just like all his other inventions.

To take a darker turn, I also suspect that Jonas Jr. is actually an attempt at making a clone of the original Jonas, and that it was grown inside of Rusty either as an accidental byproduct - or perhaps even more creepily, using him as a host. Sure, Rusty was probably cloned with that technology for convenience's sake too, but doesn't it make more sense that as he developed the technology, somewhere in the back of Jonas' mind, he was thinking of making himself immortal?
Nov. 2, 2012, 8:39pm
Ben said there was no sign of fetiform teratoma in Dean, meaning he doesn't share the same affliction as his father.

Also Myra seemed like she went insane well before the boys were born. The scene where she is being taken away right when Brock shows up they boys are infants and all of their deaths appear to have occurred during their teenage years. She could still be their mother, but she was unhinged from the start.
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:53pm
  • by beb
  • (unregistered id: E931CDA98D)
The boys think they are about three years younger than Myra does so there is a limit how old the boys were when they first died. Since the slugs age as the same rate as a normal person. It would take three years to Rusty to grew a three year old slug. Hence the boys were at mostly 1 or 2 when they died the first time. Doc and JP may have shown the boys dying numerous times when they were teenagers but they first time had to be early so that there is only a three year gap between their assumed age and the age Myra thinks (knows) them to be.

I misread the capsule comment about "fetiform teratoma." thinking Ben had said he did have it when he said he do NOT. mea culpa.
Nov. 2, 2012, 6:37pm
  • by kijunshi
Though the boys dying as babies would be appropriately ghastly, I suspect that Rusty just didn't think to clone them until they were 3 or so. Perhaps things had been safer for those first years, or perhaps that's how long it took him to resurrect and perfect the technology?
Nov. 2, 2012, 8:42pm
Ben says that Dean is fine except his failing vision but that he'd look nice with some Buddy Holly glasses. Ben also mentions that Dean is FREE of any fetiform teratoma. The same condition that his father suffered from in Season one.
Nov. 2, 2012, 9:27pm
  • by Wrongo
  • (unregistered id: 03231B2A00)
Dean and Hank are clones... the 13th or 14th set... I forget which set they are on.

Anyway, who is to say that Ben hasn't met all the other clones of Dean.. and it just so happens it took this Dean a little longer to go over to that house.

Ben knew that Dean was the 14th clone copy, so maybe he'd met Deans 1-13.

I'm sorry but your rants against the best ainmated show in the world are paper thin.
Nov. 3, 2012, 4:49pm
  • by Clarify
  • (unregistered id: 03231B2A00)
To clarify my comment was at Beb only.
Nov. 3, 2012, 4:52pm
Nice post. I am surprised you didn't hit the character limit since I don't think I put anything in place to indicate when someone does (though I probably should, I guess!)
Nov. 2, 2012, 1:20pm
  • by kijunshi
Heh, thanks! Sorry to clog the page and all - I gulped when I scrolled up after posting ^_^;;
Nov. 2, 2012, 8:33pm
Never apologize!
Nov. 3, 2012, 11:59am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Juliywr unlocked One Year Later Apr. 25, 2024, 5:18am
  • Julifpo unlocked One Year Later Apr. 24, 2024, 6:30pm
  • Julivvh unlocked One Year Later Apr. 24, 2024, 10:32am
  • Julieod unlocked One Year Later Apr. 24, 2024, 5:43am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites