Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by tsox
  • (unregistered id: 4BF7CE2F96)
Toyfare: In the Season 3 episode "The Doctor is Sin," it seemed to make a lot of sense that Rusty might become a super-villain. was that ever seriously considered for a plot line?
JP: No. I mean that's always looming, the question of whether or not Dr. Venture is a force for good or bad in the world, in the final analysis. But I don't think we'd ever have him consciously become a villain. But obviously his moral choices led an expert in villains to confuse him with a potential villain. I don't even think he was trying to seduce him there. I think he was just trying to make him what he thought he was supposed to be. I've seen people disappointed that we didn't keep going with that. And I was like "Oh man, I can't even imagine writing for that." We're not writing Lost or Battlestar Galactica. Although I will say this: I think when I started the show Dr. Venture was meant to cause a lot more damage than he does. I think that was one of the themes of the show, but we kind of dropped that because he became more interesting as a human being than as a vehicle for broad sight gags.

Toyfare: At the end of Season 3, the boys' clones are all killed and Brock quits as the Venture bodyguard. Will Season 4 feature Doc dealing with the boys now being mortal?
JP: Yeah, a lot of that sticks. We don't reboot, exactly. Things move in a different direction, but it's the same show.

Toyfare: Without the cloning, will they age now?
JP: Yes. In fact the one thing I will tell you is that the premiere, in part, picks up roughly nine months after the finale. And yes, they have aged a little. Because that's something we're interested in too, kind of moving them forward. And yeah, last season was a lot about looking back. I mean people developed, but we did a lot of flashbacks and stuff. I think Season 3, at least for me, was about getting all that back story out there. We've purposely been writing more stand-alone-ish episodes. There's definitely some minor arc advancement within them. There are stories that pick up where something from last season left off, and there are stories where the relationships are morphing a little bit. But for the most part, they're pretty stand-alone, and they're not as indebted to past episodes or future episodes as we can sometimes get. It's like, first season we wrote a second season. And then second and third season we got really deep into stuff, and I won't say we're pulling back exactly, but I think Doc and I just had to remember what's fun about this. I get like this at the end of every season. Like usually our last few episodes are really tying stuff together, or they're heavier on the fake drama of where we've been taking them all season. And then we've got to finish it big, and I get so sick of how interconnected and internalized our little world is by the end of it. I just want to write one of those episodes where something fucking stupid happens. [Laughs] Just, Hey this is the episode where a ghost pirate shows up, you know. Remember that? Remember, we could do that?

Toyfare: Are there any formerly minor characters getting the spotlight next season?
JP: Actually one thing we do each year is we give somebody an episode we forgot to give an episode the year before. Like last season I was hell bent on getting the old Team Venture into an episode, because we didn't give them anything in Season 2. So Phantom Limb was missing from all last season, pretty much, and so he gets a little more attention. As far as the minor guys, I don't want to ruin too many surprises, but Doc is good at plucking quickly mentioned characters from obscurity and turning them into important players in an episode. Actually we both did that this year. I took a page from his book and I did an episode that largely has to do with a character we've never seen, but we've heard him mentioned a couple times.

Toyfare: What would you want the Venture Bros. toys to be like?
JP: Well, I mean just the purist in me would like see just the good-looking action figures, you know? Our fantasy, since day one, would be to just make crazy action figures, to have complete control over the whole thing and put as much thought into making this product funny as we do into the show. We want to just throw all the useless gadgets that our toys had when we were kids into them, and completely inappropriate to the character. Like, you should be able to look through the back of Dr. Venture's head, like Steve Austin's head. And pairing characters that have no business being packaged with each other. And giving useless accessories to certain characters, like Billy Quizboy having his head be able to shoot off. And one character gets the fuzzy G.I. Joe head for no reason. And you wish you could control the packaging too, just to have sad children on the back...children about to cry, or just confused because they're playing with these toys that are no fun at all. [Laughs] That'll never happen, so I just want to see quality sculpts and the kind
Mar. 20, 2009, 6:55am
  • by tsox
  • (unregistered id: 4BF7CE2F96)
of crap that anybody else wants to see. I'd love to see the kind of vinyl stuff too, like all that Kidrobot kind of stuff. I think the character designs and proportions would do well in that format.

Toyfare: in the world of the cartoon, were there toys for the old Rusty Venture cartoon?
JP: Absolutely, I'm sure. Undoubtedly one of them shot something children could choke on, and there was a lawsuit, and they're all gone now. Maybe we'll get to that in an episode.

THE END
Mar. 20, 2009, 6:56am
  • by Phil
  • (unregistered id: D9E2840B5A)
Thanks for this man!
Mar. 20, 2009, 7:35pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Eldarqex unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 9:57am
  • Eldarkhb unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 9:39am
  • Eldaresr unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 3:58am
  • Eldarlst unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 12:16am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites