Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by wordbird
  • (unregistered id: 435ABA8166)
Absence makes Monarch grow fonder!!!!

more Monarch (and the Missus)!!!!

outstanding episode.
Jul. 20, 2008, 8:00am
  • by Sean Donnelly
  • (unregistered id: 82037D833C)
Oh, I totally realized how awesome the Monarch is today, not just joke-wise but character-wise. Fucking awesome.
Jul. 20, 2008, 9:06am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 96AD373FD6)
I think it was just as he laid down that reverse psych jujitsu crap on Dean that yes, finally, I fell in love with him.

What sort of man could defile an innocent robot, expressing the worst psychosexual intentions, and yet make me swoon over his traumatizing a minor with his bony, barely-dressed flesh?

I finally see what Dr. Mrs. The Monarch sees in him: Indefatigable will, routed straight through his manhood, as the scattershot bukkake of revenge.

In that scene, and the next one where he defiantly flashes his entire team like a Red Hot Chili Pepper, is when he gained in my eyes balls the size of grapefruits. Who could defy such a fucked-up, fucking beautiful man? Who would want him to not succeed?
Jul. 23, 2008, 8:44am
  • by Creepy Crooner
  • (unregistered id: 8F73EA59C9)
It's awesome that you love the Monarch, but a little weird that it took you this long to fully enjoy such an obviously awesome character. The Monarch has been one of the funniest and best characters in all of animation since the beginning! It's also kinda funny that you now see "what Dr. Mrs. The Monarch sees in him" since ya know, they're fictional cartoon characters who's main reason for being is that they are really funny villains.
Jul. 24, 2008, 2:44am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 06CD52E709)
I've deliberately avoided your comments; I've stayed away from anything provocative you've said.

Now, you've taken out precious time to provoke me, when you did not have to.

So, congratulations, you did.

And, fuck you, you smug asshole.
Jul. 24, 2008, 5:40am
  • by Josh Geller
  • (unregistered id: 225A2B4578)
Dude. Smoke a bowl.

Jul. 24, 2008, 6:12am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 4B8814D48A)
You could do something just as productive, and waterboard yourself? That'd be funny.
Jul. 24, 2008, 11:15am
  • by Josh Geller
  • (unregistered id: 013DAD39FB)
Or maybe have a testicle removed: trust me, you won't regret it.

Jul. 27, 2008, 7:52am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Also, why have you deliberately avoided my comments? Kind of a dick move if you ask me. Why don't you like me, cgeye? I have no beef with you I just think you are totally hilarious! I mean, did you read your post above? Comedy gold. Anyway, try to relax. Seriously. We're all here to have a good time. Spirited debate is fun. Telling someone to go torture themselves? A little mean spirited. Maybe switch to decaf, try that bowl that Mr. Geller recommended, just chill the fuck out, man! Just keep reminding yourself we're here to discuss a cartoon. =)
Jul. 24, 2008, 10:26pm
  • by Josh Geller
  • (unregistered id: 013DAD39FB)
Yeah, and don't take that remark about the testicle wrong, either. I have seen it happen: this guy will be sort of a jerk, too belligerant and aggressive though maybe otherwise OK and calmed down considerably after the doctors removed one of his testicles thinking (mistakenly) that it was cancerous.

Jul. 27, 2008, 7:57am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 06CD52E709)
Actually, everyone *had* moved on.

You must have sucked at double-dutch, at recess.
Jul. 29, 2008, 12:15am
  • by Phil
  • (unregistered id: D3DAE242D1)
True, but our main reason for LIKING these characters is that they do seem to operate on some sort of common logic--there's a definite humanity at the heart of the characters, which is what attracts a lot of fans to the Venture Bros. who are NOT attracted to shows like Aqua Teen, Sealab, or stuff like that.

In those shows, the reason things happen are "because it's funny," and never anything else. The Venture Bros. is different in the way that it actually treats its characters respectfully, and each time we learn more about them it makes them more real.

It's good writing. cgeye isn't out of line for enjoying it.
Jul. 24, 2008, 3:12pm
  • by Creepy Crooner
I agree with you, Phil. Although I do believe that you and some other posters here read a little too much into the show, it is true that the venture bros is a well-written show and that the characters seem deeper and more "real" than their counterparts on other shows (animated or not). That said, I'm not so sure about treating characters respectfully, as VB clearly loves to create comedic situations out of the pathetic nature, pain and failure of it's cast. Also, at the end of the day - regardless of good story telling and character development - everything on the show DOES happen because it's funny. Jackson and Doc have both said it before, it all comes back to comedy. That, friends, is my only point.
Also I don't know why you guys feel the need to continually bash Aqua Teen and the other Williams street shows. I am with you in the opinion that VB is the best show on Adult Swim by leaps and bounds but that doesn't mean that these other shows are bad or un-funny. Williams Street puts out a lot of clever, well-written shows. We should be glad that there is such a wealth of adult-oriented cartoons available to us at all.
And yes, y'all should really smoke a bowl and enjoy some animated comedy! ;)
Jul. 24, 2008, 10:16pm
  • by Phil
  • (unregistered id: 4453D1431A)
Well, putting characters through hell doesn't mean they're treating them disrespectfully. Showing a character respect just means treating them appropriately for the situation...which, yes, oftentimes in the Venture Universe involves humilation, agony, and death. I just think you and I are operating with a different view as to what the word means.

Also, I never said ATHF wasn't funny. In fact, I specifically said that the only reason they do anything in that show is BECAUSE it's funny. Williams Street has great stuff, but there's an obvious difference in characterization between this show and some others.

The achievement of Venture Bros. is that we get both great characterization AND excellent comedy. One or the other is satisfying, but both is not always easy to pull off.
Jul. 25, 2008, 12:43am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Well put. I totally agree! Kind of like the whole Family Guy vs. South Park thing. I do agree that the mix of all-out comedy and great characterizations is the allure of VB.
My only problem is people taking the show just a wee bit too seriously because the main objective of the show is to be hilarious and it seems that sometimes when folks lose sight of this fact it can get in the way of enjoying the episodes. That said I do quite enjoy your in-depth reviews (even though I may not always agree with them) and your musings on the symbolism and such - which is definitely on point.
Jul. 25, 2008, 1:20am
  • by Phil
  • (unregistered id: D3DAE242D1)
Yeah, Family Guy vs. South Park is a good example. In South Park the characters are usually treated "respectfully" in the way that there's always some logical reason that things happen to them. Sometimes good things, sometimes very, very, very bad things. But it's always because the show (or episode) is making a greater point about something.

Whereas Family Guy does it solely for a laugh. It's not interested in characterization or making large points...it's interested in getting laughs.

Neither one is the "right" way to do it, and there's no real "wrong" way either. It just comes down to what you, personally, prefer.

Funny how all the time we were disagreeing we were actually just using different words for the same thing. :-)
Jul. 25, 2008, 4:49am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Totally. I completely agree.
Jul. 25, 2008, 10:18pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Ilushikrgr unlocked One Year Later May. 18, 2024, 12:13pm
  • Ilushikdej unlocked One Year Later May. 18, 2024, 11:24am
  • Ilushikeog unlocked One Year Later May. 18, 2024, 5:21am
  • Ilushiknlq unlocked One Year Later May. 18, 2024, 4:56am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites