Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by Doc
  • (unregistered id: 71E42E7873)
Interesting idea, but I think that his interpretation of Killinger is a little off. He seems to have forgotten that Killinger turned the Monarch's organization into an efficient machine of supervillainy solely to unite him with Dr. Girlfriend, and that he tried to reuinte the Venture boys with their mom. I think it's pretty obvious that he uses "evil" means to accomplish noble goals. Oh, and at the end of that episode, he sailed away singing "sweet love." I think that makes his motives pretty clear.
Jun. 11, 2008, 3:25am
  • by Peter
  • (unregistered id: DD9AAD6EC1)
I agree with Doc, in that I disagree with Alcott's interpretation of Killinger. I think Killinger genuinely wants to help people, and concepts of good and evil are irrelevant to him. I don't think he was trying to "lure" Dr. Venture to the dark side at all, but trying to help him find what fit him best; I mean really, Dr. V is probably the most evil character on the show (orphan heart, anyone?), and I actually think the idea of him as a supervillian worked really well.
That being said, I disagree with the rest of Alcott's commentary as well. I think he's trying way too hard to read political and religious subtext into it that just isn't there (thankfully. If I wanted preachy shows I'd watch South Park; if I wanted preachy shows that aren't even funny, I'd watch Family Guy).
Jun. 11, 2008, 9:35pm
  • by Deimos_Masque
  • (unregistered id: DD74F4CF47)
With the interesting thing is that many people accuse Henry Kissinger (the obvious inspiration for Killinger) of doing the same things. Evil acts in the name of noble ends. In many ways that's the definition of realpolitik.
Jun. 12, 2008, 11:30pm
Bloggers tend to read way too much into things. Yeah, sometimes a cartoon is just a cartoon, and sometimes a Magic Murder Bag is a Magic Murder Bag. And Deimos_Masque backs up my personal theory of Killinger actually being Supervillian Kissinger using the powers of realpolitik. Or am I reading too much into all this?
Jun. 13, 2008, 3:20am
  • by Deimos_Masque
  • (unregistered id: DD74F4CF47)
That's actually my own personal theory too. Just because it makes the character that much more interesting to me.

To me the blog posting seems to be more of an attempt to use the Venture Brothers to show his own political hatreds. While my fiancee has even stated "It's easy to look at the whole thing in the reverse light too."
Jun. 13, 2008, 6:49pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Vikixoh unlocked One Year Later May. 11, 2024, 4:03am
  • Vikipxc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 9:04pm
  • Vikixsc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 8:49pm
  • Vikimll unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 7:50pm

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites