"Maybe No Go" Discussion

Oh, hello again! Fancy seeing you here. It's time for your weekly season six discussion thread. This week's episode is called "Maybe No Go". As always, feel free to talk about the episode, Venture Bros. in general or pretty much anything else really in the comments here. If you haven't watched the episode yet, there will be plenty of spoilers so, uh, I guess don't read the comments if you don't want to be spoiled.

Also feel free to head on over to the episode page and vote on the episode. I forgot to mention that last week. Speaking of which, "Hostile Makeover" is ready for your vote (and there are also pretty pictures there if you're into that). So you've got a lot to do tonight. No pressure. Enjoy "Maybe No Go"!
OMG, just past the intro and I'm already in love with this episode! Billy and Pete further embracing their 'protagonist' roles; Awesome.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:00am
I was seriously giddy at that
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:04am
Oh my, Doc & Jackson are ruining MY childhood heroes. Poor Henrietta, she doesn't deserve that fate.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:08am
Just...wow. I would have never guessed that one in a million years. Augustus you monster!
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:09am
Agreed- St. Cloud is devious. Still, there couldn't have been only one puppet, not considering how long that show was on the air.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:10am
Yeah, just look at how many Dean's and Hank's this show has run through...
Feb. 8, 2016, 1:22pm
The details on that opening sequence- just perfect.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:11am
I would comment . . . but I have a teeth cleaning appointment in the morning!
Feb. 9, 2016, 3:28am
Newark trumps Patterson.
True.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:05am
Yeah, but Camden trumps Newark.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:12am
Oh my god.
They went Trainspotting with dart detox
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:07am
So Trainspotting.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:14am
Shirt Club is a must this week, LOVE it!!!
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:09am
Ooh, that's a nice one. Might get an extra, just because.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:32am
So far, another winner. Wonder what a Nantucket Sleigh Ride is. Didn't expect that twist.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:13am
  • by celan1
  • (unregistered id: 30A4F80952)
A Nantucket Sleigh Ride is when you harpoon a whale and it pulls the boat along.
Feb. 8, 2016, 7:13pm
That sounds amazing and terrifying at the same time. Wonderful.
Feb. 8, 2016, 8:23pm
Wowzers. A lot went down there. This season is just rolling. Also was there only one commercial break there?
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:26am
  • by Dugong
  • (unregistered id: 734328348A)
its always one commercial break during 30 min shows on adults swim. shows that are 15 mins long have no commercials oil the end.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:03pm
Fan-freaking-tastic. So many plotlines set up- the lair under Monarch's house, Billy and White working for Doc, Wide Whale being Dr. Dugong's brother (I don't think a polar bear is going to be enough to stop him). Brock and Hatred make a pretty good team.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:26am
And the Monarch killed Wide Whale's brother.
Other highlights: Gary is now 21 of 1. Great cameo from Shoreleave. Brock and Sargent Hatred working together.
Feb. 8, 2016, 1:26am
At first I was like "mmm, there's another villain who made use of cuttlefish?" and then made the connection that he was related to Dr. Dugong.
Remember: Gentle aquatic mammals have all the answers
Feb. 8, 2016, 5:14pm
Ahh did not catch that thank you!

BTW wale: a ridge on a textured woven fabric such as corduroy. So his name is a play on words as obscure as Brick Frog. Thanks to Doc, fabric nerd.

I wondered if the guy in the Sicilian's tailor shop was a bit of Doc engaging in self-parody: the freak stroking the merch who asked if something came in green chainmail. Did not have the hair. Will we see him again? Is he going to be a new Dermott-type, a character based on "you know, a guy who..." archetype? Doubtful but I may have a fanfic idea; I KNOW that guy.
Feb. 10, 2016, 1:10am
  • by Captain V
  • (unregistered id: BD4F09BE4B)
Wow, probably the most off-the-wall and hilarious episode in a long time.
It had a very weird and intentionally wild tone.
I didn't check... but I can easily assume Doc wrote this one just from all the specific and numerous pop-culture references that were made.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:28am
Yeah, this one had Doc written all over it, and it actually was written by him.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:29am
Just based on the music references, definitely Doc.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:31am
  • by Captain V
  • (unregistered id: BD4F09BE4B)
Also, I loved that Wide Wale is actually brothers with Dr. Douglas Ong!
Perfect backstory! And I enjoyed how the CLA basically works for him.
The various bits witn the Pirate Captain... insanely over-the-top... I loved it.
And lastly, that polar bear ending was a perfect way to dovetail everything together in a very funny way!
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:37am
  • by Captain V
  • (unregistered id: BD4F09BE4B)
Also, the opening stuff with Billy and White was so funny that I literally couldn't stop laughing for a long beat. And the Beetlejuice reference with Redusa... what other show would even attempt that? Bold comedic television!

So much more I want to say... it was awesome.

Thank You, Doc Hammer.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:42am
  • by Captain V
  • (unregistered id: BD4F09BE4B)
Hhmmm, I wonder if Wide Wale will seek retribution against the Monarch for the death of his lame brother?
Feb. 10, 2016, 7:07pm
Yes! I love the distinct voices of Doc and Jackson, the way they come through in the episodes and are unique, but cohesive. And the fact that we all know them so well says a lot. Venture Season is such a rare and wonderful time to be alive. And be conscious. Good stuff.
Feb. 8, 2016, 12:43am
  • by Mickey Fins & Tea Rex Seeworld
  • (unregistered id: EC68F84BE4)
loved the conjectural tech montage. hope they have an 'outro' sequence at some point. looks like dreams do come true lil' noodle arm terminator water baby.

oh ya, the little feet shots & angles were choice too.
Feb. 8, 2016, 7:23am
  • by LL
  • (unregistered id: 585B3BD57B)
I thought this was the best Doc-written episode since "Everybody Comes to Hank's." We got Billy and White in action against St Cloud, another chapter in the Pirate Captain's battle with tranq addiction, more with the Wide Wale, and the Monarch's first attack on a Guild villain. I'm not sure how Doc fit all of those storylines into 22 minutes!

My favorite things about the episode:
1. The fake Billy Quizboy & The Pink Phantom intro. I especially loved the dune buggy. If you grew up in the 70s or 80s, Hanna-Barbera made you believe that the dune buggy was the pinnacle of automotive transport.
2. St Cloud wearing Simon LeBon's "Please, Please Tell Me" outfit. I loved St Cloud's ridiculous monologue about a world without the new romantics, too.
3. Billy's Quiz Boy grappling hand. "That kills! This thing is attached to my nerves!" I lost my shit.
Feb. 8, 2016, 10:43am
You'd think Billy would do a better job with the extendo-arm, considering how eager he was to use it.
Feb. 8, 2016, 8:26pm
I thought Pete's Pink Pilgrim outfit was very similar to the Outriders, almost the same thing!!
Feb. 8, 2016, 11:11am
Totally! And on this week's shirt, he looks like he actually is Outrider. Uncanny.
Feb. 8, 2016, 11:25am
AV Club had a great write up about Billy's speech at the end:

"Out of everything, though, it’s Billy and Pete who have the most surprisingly moving arc, one that starts with a great joke (rescheduling a super-hero/super-villain battle over a dentist appointment), and ending on Billy’s impassioned speech about the importance of a bouncing red ball. That speech is at once pathetic and inspiring, and if there’s a better way to summarize what this show has come to stand for—the way optimism is, at heart, a special form of nerdery, of believing in something bright and shiny and ridiculous against all possible scorn—I’m not sure I’ve heard it."

Feb. 8, 2016, 3:48pm
Took me a second watch, but sending that ball back in time from the 21st century wouldn't affect what happens in the 1980's.
Feb. 8, 2016, 4:15pm
Also, two episodes in, and I'm a little disappointed that nobody has died yet.
Feb. 8, 2016, 4:18pm
"Have you seen J-Bot?"
Feb. 8, 2016, 5:12pm
Nope. I don't count robots or animals eaten as food. Plus--inconclusive.
Feb. 8, 2016, 6:56pm
Definitely- like I said last week, JJ builds his robots too well to count J-Bot out yet.
Feb. 8, 2016, 8:29pm
It's a bit off-topic, but I shared a screen grab of this thread with someone else who is a fan. It was funny saying "H and I..."
Feb. 9, 2016, 12:45am
Wow, I'm internet famous! I think.

Still, cool to be a known entity in the fan community.
Feb. 9, 2016, 1:00am
Haha I shared the thread earlier saying that I may have sparked up an interesting debate. I may consider doing a live stream about this topic actually, you're welcome to join.
Feb. 9, 2016, 1:30am
Well, there's always the tragedy of Jbot...
Feb. 8, 2016, 5:26pm
Hardly a tragedy, I'd say.
Feb. 8, 2016, 8:28pm
True, Jarvis never really dies, he just goes away until the time is right. But J-Bot was devoted to the V-Team and went full Iron Man protecting them. He was never rude or competitive with Helper, just a newer model of polite bodyguard servant. I'm sure he has some thrusters to get to a safe place. He'll probably return at a critical moment, maybe sacrificing himself for Helper...
Feb. 9, 2016, 10:52am
Still wouldn't count as a /death./
Feb. 9, 2016, 1:13pm
Agreed since I first commented that it's not a death, despite being presented as a possible demise. But if J-Bot were to perish, I'd consider it a death. He's sentient, aware of himself and his surroundings, intelligent, differentiates between the living and the inanimate in all of his servant, interpersonal and bodyguard dealings, and can presumably be destroyed, whether he can hide out in a system and be revived or not. I consider him to be as human as a clone slug. HELPeR is also a robot, but he's a full family member with a multitude of feelings and emotions. There has been a lot of focus on his own humanity and place in the world. But that's just my feeling. To each his own.
Feb. 11, 2016, 6:18pm
  • by The Blue Morpho
Damn, J-Bot still never showed up after that...
11 months ago
I wasn't impressed with last weeks "Hostile Makeover" probably because Jackson felt he had to introduce so many NYC characters that there wasn't time to create much of a plot. "Maybe No Go" was vastly more pleasing. Particularly nice was the parallel's between Billy and St. Cloud's henching battle and Monarch's and Ventures. The idea of a time-out for a dental appointment makes their battle sound like some kind of cosplay thing. But the "serious" battles between super-scientists and super-villains really aren't that much different. Besides "Rusty's Rule" you never really see any villains or scientists go all out to solve their Arching problem once and for all. The use of the polar bear at the end really tied the whole episode together. I kind of wanted to see Hank-and-the-mystery-girl storyline advance. But this was a pleasantly full episode was it was.

One question, was Monarch really angry with Dr. Mrs. Girlfriend (or DMGF as I like to call her) or was it a ruse to get her to propose make-up sex so 21could plunder her laptop for intel? Maybe the make-up sex was unexpected but the suggestion of the cheerleader costume was planned,
Feb. 8, 2016, 7:09pm
  • by celan1
  • (unregistered id: 30A4F80952)
Wouldn't it be DMTM (Dr. Mrs. The Monarch)? :-)
Feb. 8, 2016, 7:20pm
The anger was probably real but Monarch is so 'on' that he probably came up with the laptop stuff as he was suggesting the cheerleader outfit.
Feb. 8, 2016, 8:31pm
Dude . . . Dr. Mrs. The MONARCH[!--Ed.] in the cheerleader outfit?

I am surprised he even lasted that long!

Points to everyone who figured out her "deal" was shifting the rights to arch Venture!
Feb. 9, 2016, 3:51am
I was curious as to why Wide Wale's name was spelled "Wale" and not "Whale" so I looked up Wale and here's what I got.

a. One of the parallel ribs or ridges in the surface of a fabric such as corduroy.
b. The texture or weave of such a fabric: a wide wale.

So that explains the fabric swishing sound as he was moving around. This show is so brilliant!
Feb. 9, 2016, 11:29pm
  • by Captain V
  • (unregistered id: BD4F09BE4B)
And yes, the spelling of Wide Wale is a clever and esoteric corduroy joke.
It all roles together with the fact that his purple suit squeaks from his massive build and he has whale DNA now.
Feb. 10, 2016, 6:01pm
  • by Captain V
  • (unregistered id: BD4F09BE4B)
My assumption:

The Monarch either found Vendata's old underground base, or his parents were always villains all along even before the plane crash.
Feb. 10, 2016, 6:00pm
  • by Captain V
  • (unregistered id: BD4F09BE4B)
Although, maybe they were actually good guys originally, it'd explain why they'd play around with Jonas and his crew.

Regardless, that was an underground base in Monarch's childhood home.
Feb. 10, 2016, 6:03pm
  • by Destroyo
  • (unregistered id: 4152F60B7A)
My bet is the Monarch's dad was a Batman-esque superhero during the 60s. He'll don the old outfit to take down all the Guild villains that stand his the way to arching Dr Venture once again. It will then become a issue if/when he actually enjoys being the hero.
Feb. 12, 2016, 1:37pm
Ah, ha! Yes! In that teaser trailer with Watch and Ward warning that there was someone taking out guild members most of us just assumed it was Doc, but it will actually be The Monarch! They both have red beards and we all saw how they look alike when The Monarch was dressed up as the Statue of Liberty! This is gonna be SO awesome!!!
Feb. 14, 2016, 10:55am
I know the sing pretty well, Is The Something I Should Know, but it took me a few times of singing it to myself to realise that the ep title comes from there. Silly me!
Feb. 12, 2016, 9:24am
Don't feel bad, I thought it was from a Hall and Oates song til I looked up the lyrics of the DD song..!
Feb. 13, 2016, 11:24am
  • by captain midnite
Just joined so I apologize if someone else has already has pointed out that Barnacle Bahdul, Wale's second to a man, sounds and looks like Kobayashi played by Pete Postlethwaite in the Usual Suspects (without the barnacles on Bahdul's face). Also, I did see the comment here about the S6 teaser warning about the man in blue killing off Guild members. Makes sense now. The Monarch has an axe to grind against the Guild now and is going to be knocking off bad guys and girls, dressed as his dear old dad.
Feb. 19, 2016, 3:05am
Welcome! The Monarch hit list is so great. I am more excited for Monarch to don the Blue Morpho getup than any other plot element so far this season. I was just wondering, is your username based on Captain Midnight from the radio serials in the 30's-40's? If so, kudos! I have a decent collection of original decoders and other cool stuff from back then. Great character.
Feb. 20, 2016, 9:21pm
  • by captain midnite
Good observation. Yes my user name is originally from the old serials, but also a nod to the infamous mid-80's HBO satellite jamming incident.
11 months ago

Commercial Break

Amien (Formerly R...)

Oct. 8, 2016, 6:58pm
The Venture Bros. Panel from NYCC 2016 is archived on Twitch at the mail channel. Some minor spoilers to follow... Orpheus and Dermott have both been written in to Season 7, though the latter in small doses. They are finishing working on the scripts and they hope to start production in the next month or two. They have said this before but the first episode of Season 7 will act as a finale to Season 6. (Much like how the Gargantua-2 special ended Season 5 on a proper note). They are very conscious that the past two seasons have not had a proper finale and they are trying to fix that in Season 7. While they have not been renewed for a Season 8, they HAVE NOT been cancelled. In fact, they said they are specifically not writing Season 7 as if it were the last one. Finally, The Art of the Venture Bros. is still a go! It has expanded into a much bigger book than they imagined and Ken Plume has been doing the work on it. It has material from all six seasons, and it sounds like an in-depth interview that spans the entire book. Release date and information still to come.

wordbird

Mar. 17, 2016, 6:48pm
Interview with Hal Lublin https://medium.com/the-dot-and-line/exclusive-interview-hal-lublin-breaks-down-venture-bros-and-playing-up-his-asthma-eaf28ecb7b89#.v3p6osl3y

Feb. 24, 2016, 2:50pm
Adult Swim's Tumblr says they're working on more VB merch soon! http://adultswim.tumblr.com/post/139913216494/quirkett-duprass42-on-the-one-hand-im