"The Rorqual Affair" Discussion

Oh hello again, fancy seeing you here. It's your weekly Venture Bros. episode discussion thread. This week's episode is The Rorqual Affair", which you can already watch on Adult Swim's site (only in the US, sorry) or it will otherwise air in a couple of hours on Adult Swim. Use the comments here to talk about the episode and the show in general. Make note: if you haven't watched yet, the comments will contain spoilers, so read them at your own risk! Go Team Venture!
  • by Destroyo
  • (unregistered id: CDC55F233D)
#21/Gary's dream sequence appears to confirm that he actually executed Wandering Spider rather that letting him go minus his metal legs. As for the original Blue Morpho, I suspect he was directly responsible for #21 oversleeping the mission. He had definitely been in the lair that morning to steal the Morphomobile. The Vendata/Venturian was probably rebooted to his original personality once the PROBLEM activated. Can't wait for the third part which hasn't been spoilered yet.
2 months ago
Probably the one who emptied out the Morpho-lair before he could show Sheila too.

On another note, am I the only one who forgot about Wandering Spider? I mean, I remember all the other arches they took out but for some reason he didn't make much of an impression on me.
2 months ago
I didn't interpret it that way. I took it that Gary did take Wandering Spider back to the Morpho Cave, alive, and then he died in there due to cannibalism; Gary just feels guilty about indirectly causing his death.
  • by gnormie
  • (unregistered id: F38BBB7FAA)
minor spoiler for next episode.

The Monarch and Blue Morpho's surname is...Fitzcarraldo. Which is a Werner Herzog movie.
1 month ago
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
Yeah, if Vendata isn't back as the original Blue Morpho next week... I'll be very shocked.
2 months ago
That's your pop-pop, Malcolm.
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
Too perfect. Now I'll be sad if he doesn't say that!
2 months ago
"BRICK THROWING AND FROG BEING"
2 months ago
"We should get some flaming bricks!"
2 months ago
Another quality episode. Some of the Rocko and Wale stuff worked, some of it didn't. I'm still suspicious of Dr. Dugong's return. Seems a bit too easy- maybe a shapeshifter? Got 2 or 3 of those and none of them had definitive corpses. Whatever- nice to see Red Death again. Clancy Brown always brings his A game.
2 months ago
Well starfish DNA does allow regenerating so Dr. Dugong might be the one true Dr. Dugong....I'm more interested in knowing why Wide Wale is such a bastard of a brother, that he didn't tell Sirena that she had an uncle until Dr. Dugong just showed up.
2 months ago
He grew his head back! Un-effing-incredible. He even grew backk his memories! Jackson and Doc used to play a lot more fairly. When Rusty was cloning the boys the clones never had their memories until those memories were down-loaded into them. They may as well have said the Monarch missed when he shot Dr. Dugong at point-blank range.
2 months ago
That was my thought as well. Then again, they only showed the gun warming up and not the firing, so he very well may have missed.
2 months ago
I concur. We don't know how serious his head injury was. It's conceivable that it was serious enough to pronounce him dead at the scene without further inspection, but not serious enough that super-science-fueled regeneration couldn't repair. I presume soon after he was found to be alive (or rather not yet dead) by OSI he was given all the medical care (and biological nutrients via feeding tube) to allow his body to repair itself over the next year plus.
2 months ago
Yeah, I'm not sure why we need to worry about real-world physics and biology given everything that goes on in the show. Magic is real, super-science is real, and Dr. Dugong is part starfish and that's all fine, but he can't regain his memories?

I mean Billy Whalen's and Think Tank's heads are completely biologically impossible, we met Rusty's actual literal ID, one of the Palaemon interns was turned into some kind of spectre, all those resurrected zombies, The Master, blackulas, etc.Not sure why you're suddenly looking for a logically sound explanation.
2 months ago
It's the Rusty Venture in all of us, I suppose.
2 months ago
I think the reason I found the explanation of Dr. Dugong's survival so far-fetched it resembled an explanation put forwarded for a Thelma and Louise sequel. How could they survive driving into the Grand Canyon? --- They bounced. It was just nonsense. Malcom couldn't have missed because Dr. Girlfriend acted as if the Monarch had killed Dugong. This was a big, illogical gimmee to get he Mponarch off the hook they had put him on last season. I see it as the kind of massive cheat Doc and Jackson has never done before.
2 months ago
You know, the more I think about it, the more I move towards the whole miss thing. Sheila's lied to him before to spare his feelings so maybe he was in such a rage that he thought he had killed him and those other arches but she actually covered it up. She had Dugong make up that story on the way there to explain how he survived.
2 months ago
I mean, she did know to go get the records to track him down, so her lying to the monarch wouldn't be a stretch.
2 months ago
It seemed to me that he was ashamed of how he treated Doug, so he didn't want to have to tell Sirena the story and make her think less of her dear old dad.
2 months ago
OK so if Jonas Sr. "died" on Movie Night, was Bud Manstrong being a major dick when he was telling the boys the story then going "RIGHT, DOCTOR VENTURE?"
2 months ago
I'm guessing Jonas did NOT die on movie night. Whether he died before or after Movie Night is a question we'll probably get the answer to in the next episode.
2 months ago
I'm guessing that Jonas recognized some of the GCI infiltrators in the crowd and opened the cargo bay doors himself, or ordered one of Team Venture to do so. Jonas wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice his own employees to save his hide. Whether or not that led to his near death remains to be seen.
2 months ago
That occurred to me too, which is why I thought he may have died before movie night and done the deed while in Pro.B.L.E.M. (it's a way to place him at the scene without some 2nd excuse). But with the Guild's involvement on movie night, Jonas being alive and the main target of the Guild also places him at the scene. We'll just have a wait a few days to find out.
  • by Eartha Kite & Dismalicious Winds from Provo
  • (unregistered id: E75829D970)
FLASH! Wide Wale subject to cancer-- https://www.livescience.com/41655-great-white-shark-cancer.html
2 months ago
Good find. Well, Chester wasn't the smarter brother, so.
2 months ago
Just like he abandoned all those orphan children. Didn't even check up on them later.

The longer this show goes on the more the difference of "good guy/bad guy" and "protagonist/antagonist" that Watch and Ward insisted on rings true. Team Venture is filled with horrible bastards and many of the GCI "villains" aren't all that bad
2 months ago
Rusty has always been toeing that line between good/bad. We have learned over the course of the show that Jonas wasn't the white knight we may have presumed he was in season 1. Jonas was just better at both being good and bad than Rusty.
2 months ago
It's that old-school morality where the ends justify the means, even if they're dirty means.
2 months ago
I always assumed that he thought they were dead and didn't want to disturb the bodies.
Some thoughts so far:

Steve and Dave Killsock. I didn't realize those were his shoes, I guess his suit looks like his body.

Is Rocko's madlibs just what he likes to do or another form of torture?

"Stab girl, she was a little thing, carried switch blades, she knew to exhale" -- neat villain, would like to see in a flashback. (we haven't seen her, have we? I don't recall her ever showing up)

Nice for Dr. Mrs. The Monarch doing her #metoo type speech.

Wide Whale's pistol is beautiful and seems familiar, does anyone know what it is? Has to be a reference to a gun in a movie somewhere.

"You want I shall hide behind this thing?" (should?)

Again, I think Chester (Wide Whale before the transformation) looks an awful like Gary, and with the "My mommy thinks I'm living at my Uncle's; She think's I'm good" from the begining, it hints at a familial connection for sure. Everyone and everything else seems to have implausible crazy close relationships that it's not far afield.

I want Red Death's green fall buttonup sweater with the leaves on it. If anyone knows an Amazon link for it or something, please let me know.

The building trying to walk is amazing and I am sooooooooo happy with this season so far.

"I think I left my penis in the bathroom, can I go get it?" "Here, you can use mine"

"that is disappointedly not whale shaped or hovering or anything cool"

"I can't believe I caught that knife on the first try. Arrgh! So cool."

Why is Phantom Limb being so accomidating to the remaining GCI members? He seems to have gone from badass to sycophant. Trying to win an election to sovereign or something?

I would not have noticed this had I not just rewatched Austin Powers in Goldmember but during the Wide Whale origin story as he reveals that Dougie is Dr Dugong there is a shot where Rocko standing there has one of the dolphin fountains at penis level, looking like he's peeing with a dolphin penis. Knowing Doc, there is no way that artistic placement was accidental.

(Side note unrelated to this episode, Palaemon was apparently the "guardian of ships", hence the name's usage as the shield for Gargantua-2)

This is very significant and I don't know why: "Come on! Join me!" "Are you kidding? It's freezing. Leave us alone, ya jackass." "Oh, you were never there for me--"
2 months ago
On re-watch of episode 7x01, HeLPER spews rats from his mouth. Is he trying to talk to Brock but he's taking rats to Dr. Venture Sr. for him to eat?
2 months ago
More of a Candyman type of thing. Jonas can catch rats just fine on his own.
2 months ago
The Monarch's dream where he's in the ocean -- I think that's where the dialog comes from. I can't heard the dialog too well -- I suspect The Monarch (Malcolm) is remembering something from his childhood when he was playing with Rusty. But then I've long thought, based on their similar appearance that Malcolm and Rusty are brothers. (full brothers with the Blue Morpho the father) step brothers or proto-clones. The last would explain why we've never seen or heard of a Mrs. Venture
2 months ago
I think there may have been a clue in "A Very Venture Halloween" when Ben notes "The subject is free of any fetiform teratoma" referring to Dean venture. A fetiform teratoma is a tumor that resembles a fetus, usually associated with reproductive organs. Ben's mention of them makes me think that these were a problem with the clones at some point.

Jonas Jr. clearly thought he was a case of fetal resorption ("You suckerpunched me in the womb") but the case is definitely similar enough for TV, and all bets are off when you start talking about growing clones in tanks and other super-science shenanigans.
  • by Crandom77
  • (unregistered id: BCC5F5887A)
I believe they are half brothers sharing the same mother. Jonas and Morpho sr were apparently very close and didn't shy away from orgies.
1 month ago
  • by S.P.H.I.N.X. Commander
Was that really a #metoo “speech”?

Or just a pro-Woman / anti-meathead quip?

I’d go for the latter.

I doubt many ideologues from the #metoo movement would embrace an oversexualized female character voiced by a man....no matter how progressive that VA might be.
1 month ago
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
An exclusive clip from the next episodic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx9Xis1nxXw

Just kidding.
  • -2
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
After having just rewatched all the episodes, I realized the main theme of the show is that life always comes full circle.

- Brock's long journey after quitting that ultimately leads to him becoming the Venture's bodyguard again.

- Billy eventually gets everything he originally wanted as a boy, he now even works for Dr. Venture and has his own arch enemy.

- Phantom Limb endures everything you can think of and in the end is now on the new Council of Thirteen and thus, basically achieved his dreams of ruling over villainy.

- Dr. Mrs. has always been the most competent villain in the GCI and destined for greatness. The Monarch takes her greatness for granted and now his wife is his boss. Now that she is basically in charge of everything GCI related, it was obvious the show was leading to this for years.

On and on like that...

Then Jackson confirms it!!!

2 months ago
You know, I'd forgotten that Jonas Sr. appeared to Rusty in Careers in Science. Perhaps he was projecting himself into his subconscious even then?
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
Rewatching that episode... everything can be seen, interpreted, and read into much more deeply now after the S7 premiere.

It's a great interview all around and definitely worth a look.

And now I'm extra excited it's confirmed season seven has a proper season finale episode!
2 months ago
Is there an actual interview video I'm just not seeing or what? It is interesting and all but I don't know that it's an interview when Jackson is only in paragraphs 3, 13, 14, and 15.

I want more!
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
The ratings went up a tiny bit. I wonder if the next episode will see another (larger) uptick in ratings b/c it hasn't "officially" leaked in advance, like the first two episodes.

VBS7 Ep. 2 - Ratings - 0.672 Million Viewers.
2 months ago
It's absurd to even talk about ratings when AS puts the show @ the ass-end of the night; if they were committed to good ratings they'd put it in a prime slot...
Huh?
New Rick and Morty can pull 2.5 million in the same slot.
New RC pulls 1.0 million in the same slot.

Your argument holds no water.

Heck, I remember when the encores @ 2 a.m. were getting the best ratings and it confused [AS] employees. They wrote about it in bumps years ago.
2 months ago
You don't think the earlier time slot would lead to better ratings?
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
No. I actually don't support changing the timeslot for new episodes.

I think they should just show reruns daily and promote new seasons better.

The timeslot actually has little competition, and it has become a staple over the years that all these [AS] shows debut new episodes late on Sunday nights.

I think supporting the show in other ways would actually be better.

However, I'm a big supporter of the ideal that everything good on TV must end before it gets too many damn seasons.

So, in reality, I really only want one more season after this one.
But... I also want it to be another sixteen episode season, spread across two years. With a 90 minute (or 2 hour) series finale.

And I doubt any of that will happen.

So, I guess... do whatever [AS].
2 months ago
If you view the source of the astrobase.com page, there's awesome ascii art of the venture brothers skull.
2 months ago
And did anyone happen to save the pictures of the week one t-shirt from the titmouse site? I missed those :(
2 months ago
I didn't save it, but it was the Problem light. Hey, I was just looking at the shirts from last season and for the Stuyvesant Univesity shirt they have Dean's head on the male shirt mannequin and Sirena for the female shirt, and in the S7 trailer, we see her in class with Dean. Man, there is just foreshadowing all over!
Woooot!!!! Maximum hype!!!!!
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
The picture confirms everything we've all assumed about the real Blue Morpho is correct.
2 months ago
The return of 'Super Run Away'!
2 months ago
After watching this episode yet again I noticed something that may or may not be a coincidence. Douglass tells Chester that he would have known that he was still alive if Chester had read the emails from their mom, to which Chester replies that her emails are usually cat videos.

Rewind to the season premiere where Doc blames Pete White's upgrading the system (one Flash plug-in) for the "computer glitch", to which Pete replies that Doc was the one who just had to see that cat video (and it was hilarious). Then presumedly sometime thereafter they started having the PRO-blem.

Now we all know the main reason for the internet is cat videos, followed by the, er, studying of the Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human, but maybe there was something else in that cat video file that began to stir awake Old Jonas? Did Doc get it from the same source as the Ong Brother's mom? I'm sure we'll find out soon.
2 months ago
5PM EST to be exact, great catch!
2 months ago
Wait, what? Do you know more than you're letting on, Mr. Bonham?
2 months ago
No, they put up the new episode on AS streaming @ that time every Friday..
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if the new episode goes up or not.
The first two made sense to release, since they were already "officially" leaked out, but we'll soon see if this is a regular weekly event now.
2 months ago
Check the old link, says it's upcoming so looks like it's a weekly thing like S3.
Nice!
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
I noticed that too. Could be something deeper... but may just be a coincidence.

Often when Doc and Jackson get together they get so excited about a joke or a plot detail they both go off and put it in one of their own scripts they write simultaneously and separately.

We'll know soon.
2 months ago
Was watching ep 3 and it keeps freezing just as Jonas starts to tell BM what happened to him. Arrrrrrrgh!
  • by mr
  • (unregistered id: FAD82B731E)
me too! so frustrating! they've always had one of the worst streaming services
2 months ago
Yep same here, great they can get those commercials to show up nice and clear tho!!
  • by mr
  • (unregistered id: FAD82B731E)
guess i'm waiting for the rip
2 months ago
Get Adblock Plus. It's free. No commercials. Not 100% effective, but close enough for free.
2 months ago
Arrears in Science loaded like dial up online but on the app it loaded just fine!!

ALSO HOLY SHIT I AM......I...WHAT DO I EVEN SAY ABOUT THAT EPISODE!?! HELP.....
OMG, Scary Nilsson!!!
  • by Destroyo
  • (unregistered id: 4152F60B7A)
My Stanza!
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
Go Team... Malcom Fitzcarraldo!
2 months ago
I caught that too. I wonder if it's the same model year as 24's car. Ooh, I gotta add this to the wiki!
1 month ago
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
It was basically the series finale.
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
I think they revealed everything except who Hank and Dean's mom actually is.

Even Malcom's full name. Who Kano killed. How are Rusty and Malcom related.

Who killed *blank*..... on and on like that. It's all revealed here.

Felt like the last episode of the series.
2 months ago
AS streaming issues seemed to finally abate. Saw the rest of the episode. My brain melted. So much to process, gonna have trouble getting to sleep now........ just WOW!
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
For sure. The episode actually plays pretty smooth now in HD.

What a great episode, they really went for it and made something unforgettable.

Upon re-watching in HD I noticed BM actually denies killing *blank* at the last second, so the mystery is sill there.

Very excited for next week... the insane aftermath... will be glorious.

One of the best episodes... ever.
Go Team Venture!!!

I almost forgot to post the direct link.
OMG Rusty did it
1 month ago

Captain V

Oct. 2, 2018, 7:08am
Jackson and Doc will be at NYCC 2018, fuck yes! An artbook signing and a nice Q&A session. https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPlume/status/1046909368959209472 Doc Hammer also has an artshow: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/doc-hammer-the-black-ones-tickets-50287509294

Captain V

Sep. 28, 2018, 5:13pm
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/the-forecast-manufacturer It's here.

Mike

Sep. 21, 2018, 5:43pm
Discussion for this weekend's episode is up! http://mantiseye.com/news/2018/09/the_terminus_mandate_discussion