The Mantis-Eye Interview With Jackson & Doc

If you read this site with any regularity then they are two guys who need no introduction. Jackson and Doc. Not only do they make The Venture Bros., but they also happen to be pretty damned hilarious and pretty nice guys to boot.

Back when I was trying to come up with some cool stuff for the Five Years thing the most obvious feature was of course an interview with Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer. It's something I've wanted to do on the site for a long time (since the gap between seasons one and two) but I just never got around to or even thought was possible.

I would have settled for a written interview, but thanks to the awesome generosity and kindness of Jackson & Doc we all get to experience those guys answering my weird questions in audio form. Basically everyone wins.

Sources: Shannon Cottrell and Chandra Free

Before you listen I'd like to go ahead and apologize for any of the content I contributed to this. I tried to stay brief and let Jackson & Doc do all the talking (which is why I edited out Jackson reading my questions; they were way long and he was just reading some boring crap that I wrote). My questions were not really meant to be read aloud, so they were wordier than I would have liked. I also apologize for the quality of my microphone and random speech problems (both related and unrelated to mic quality), but they're hopefully not going to take away from the stuff you're actually interested in. All in all I think it came out really well, and anyway you can't really ever go wrong with Jackson and Doc. Enjoy!

Mantis-Eye Podcast: Jackson & Doc Interview (48:17)

Direct Download (Save As) (32.9MB)

A huge thanks to Jackson & Doc for taking the time out of their busy schedules to record this (they did this back in January in the midst of doing a ton of work on season 4.2) and just for agreeing to do it at all. I can't thank them enough for not only this but for the amazing series they've made and just generally for being super friendly with their fans. It's pretty rare to be able to ask the creator of a show a question on his blog and have him actually answer you, especially when you ask him to make a podcast.
  • by Red Menace
  • (unregistered id: 0F61AB067C)
Stiil wondering if Jackson went to Parsippany Hills or Parsippany High and which comic store he worked at
Sep. 17, 2010, 1:34pm
Informative
  • by Jackson
  • (unregistered id: F6929BFC3B)
It was Parsippany Hills. And I worked at Pegasus Enterprises in Boonton.
Sep. 17, 2010, 2:45pm
  • by Ron Bonham
  • (unregistered id: F5C52679CA)
Can I just say that Mr. Public, you have THE best laugh, it's like music to my ears. Just a joy to hear it and don't go getting all insecure about it now, it's pure love and joy!! Sorry just had to tell you that. ;)
Sep. 18, 2010, 12:35pm
  • by David S. Mihocik
  • (unregistered id: 59845ABEBE)
I love how in depth this interview is (almost 50 minutes long!) Nice of the guys to record it too. Stellar work Mike. Thanks for the hard work over the years!
Sep. 17, 2010, 1:36pm
  • (unregistered id: E324773BD3)
That was awesome! Very funny, very informative. Some good points, some stuff I disagreed with, overall I was entertained. They seem like people it'd be great to hang around with. Especially like the stuff at the end, the outtake stuff. Thank you guys for doing this and being so great.
Sep. 17, 2010, 6:56pm
  • by A anthropomorphic cow named Stan
  • (unregistered id: 11097CB623)
Who doesn't like Sargent Hatred? I love the character.
Sep. 17, 2010, 8:53pm
  • (unregistered id: E324773BD3)
Moo!

On a more serious note, there has been some backlash but things seem to be on an upturn.
Sep. 17, 2010, 9:22pm
  • (unregistered id: E324773BD3)
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Sep. 17, 2010, 9:22pm
  • by David S. Mihocik
  • (unregistered id: 59845ABEBE)
I'm a fan of ol' Hatred.

Course I also love the moppets to, so take that as you will.
Sep. 17, 2010, 10:27pm
  • by Red Menace
  • (unregistered id: 0F61AB067C)
Jackson, thanks for the reply. It explains why you didn't look familiar. Thanks for supporting Mike and the site. Its always a joy to hear you and Doc.
Mike ,
Thanks as always
Sep. 18, 2010, 9:41am
  • by Donkiku
  • (unregistered id: A4C9665458)
Thought I commented but here I go again. This was really nice. Listening to them do the commentaries for the show is great and this had the same feeling! :D Thanks Mike, Doc and Jackson!
Sep. 18, 2010, 3:34pm
  • by Bass
  • (unregistered id: 51EACDA95B)
Thank you Mantis Eye for a great interview. Are Doc and Jackson rolling their own cigarettes now?
Sep. 18, 2010, 9:42pm
  • by Mike
  • (unregistered id: D548A83739)
I would imagine they have been doing that for a while, but it sounds like it. I can't even imagine how many cigarettes were smoked during the recording.

The Mantis-Eye Podcast, brought to you by: smoking!
Sep. 18, 2010, 10:16pm
  • by Joe
  • (unregistered id: B3F0807EA7)
I dunno, all that laughing and snickering they did...what *were* they smoking anyway?

Creative types like that are usually on the dope...
Sep. 19, 2010, 11:08am
  • by no.22
  • (unregistered id: 4D8ED758D3)
What a blast. I always love listening to the seldom-on-topic episode commentaries, and this proved to be just as great. Doc's fight to get away from actual answers and "riff" never fails...go Frank Oz.
Sep. 19, 2010, 2:25pm
  • by Dormammund Dumber
  • (unregistered id: 5980370E47)
Weirdest thing; listened to this interview, started to read a book on Mental Poisoning" then stated to watch the movie Catch 22. A little way in the Major Major character and "Padre" are looking like the dads of Doc and Jackson. I drift off to seep and hear "Doc has become a zombie". Say what? not the movie I remember!

So Anthony Perkins and Bob Newhart, parents of Doc and Jackson P? Tell me!
Sep. 19, 2010, 5:24pm

Commercial Break

Amien (Formerly R...)

Oct. 8, 2016, 6:58pm
The Venture Bros. Panel from NYCC 2016 is archived on Twitch at the mail channel. Some minor spoilers to follow... Orpheus and Dermott have both been written in to Season 7, though the latter in small doses. They are finishing working on the scripts and they hope to start production in the next month or two. They have said this before but the first episode of Season 7 will act as a finale to Season 6. (Much like how the Gargantua-2 special ended Season 5 on a proper note). They are very conscious that the past two seasons have not had a proper finale and they are trying to fix that in Season 7. While they have not been renewed for a Season 8, they HAVE NOT been cancelled. In fact, they said they are specifically not writing Season 7 as if it were the last one. Finally, The Art of the Venture Bros. is still a go! It has expanded into a much bigger book than they imagined and Ken Plume has been doing the work on it. It has material from all six seasons, and it sounds like an in-depth interview that spans the entire book. Release date and information still to come.

wordbird

Mar. 17, 2016, 6:48pm
Interview with Hal Lublin https://medium.com/the-dot-and-line/exclusive-interview-hal-lublin-breaks-down-venture-bros-and-playing-up-his-asthma-eaf28ecb7b89#.v3p6osl3y

Feb. 24, 2016, 2:50pm
Adult Swim's Tumblr says they're working on more VB merch soon! http://adultswim.tumblr.com/post/139913216494/quirkett-duprass42-on-the-one-hand-im