Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by Veggietray
  • (unregistered id: C8BCAD3536)
Wow, this has really turned into a Hatred-fest. Back in season 3 I never imagined he would develop into a major character, and apparently one that polarizes VB fans into two extremes of love/loathe.

Try setting aside the whole pedo thing for a minute, and you will actually discover that there's a lot more going on with his character:

- After arching for 20(?) years with GOCI, he is suddenly careerless.
- His woman dumped him at the same time.
- His ex now has his home in malice AND is sleeping with ALL his former henchmen!

So you have a guy going through a midlife crisis of massive proportions, and taking Brock's old bodyguard job is his way of trying to find purpose in the chaotic ruin his life has become (and how typical of Rusty, hiring the nearest guy at hand because he's too lazy to get a proper replacement!).

Brock was way overqualified for his job guarding the Ventures, and part of the fun was watching him languish in his role and watch how he dealt with the dullness of it all (I'm pretty sure the Monarch's henchmen took the brunt of his frustrations). Sgt. Hatred is a reversal of this dynamic - while he is cunning and experienced in the ways of supervillainy with the POTENTIAL to do a good job, his personal problems (yes, even aside from THAT one) make him lackluster at best. The boys have actually become HIS caretakers, and Dr. V doesn't even seem concerned that his new bodyguard is in over his head.

I'm not trying to make anyone like Hatred, or even to explain why it's good comedy. I'm only making the point that he is a LOT more complex than a vehicle for 1-liner pedo jokes.
Nov. 25, 2009, 6:06pm
  • by Joe
  • (unregistered id: BE901E337F)
Veggietray,
That was a very nice run-down on Sgt Hatred's character, backstory, etc.

But what I guess it comes down to (for the "Hatred Haters" at least) is that Sgt Hatred just isn't all that interesting of a character, especially not when stacked up against Brock. The accurate list you provided provokes a "OK...so -what-?" reaction from the non-fans.

This is of course a matter of personal taste. Plenty of Hatred fans out there.

But, to me, at least, and I suspect many others, there's a non-interesting character that also happens to be, as you said, the vehicle for a steady stream of pedo jokes.

Put those two things together and people like me are going to inevitably start shouting "ENOUGH already!"

And for the guy that's ragging on us for complaining about a season that's already in the can and not going to change: Well, you're right of course Captain Obvious. We're all aware of that.

But to quote Holden McNeil: "The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies [ and TV shows]."

(Quite frankly, I find that to be both true and pathetic...even as I'm using my own Internet voice to bitch about an animated character. Talk about a self-hating hypocrite : ) )
Nov. 25, 2009, 9:44pm
  • by Creepy Crooner
  • (unregistered id: C0BBF56792)
Hmmmm. Although I totally agree with you and Holden McNeil (although I tend to find movies and tv just about as important as anything so I don;t find this fact pathetic or distressing) I still think it is completely inaccurate to say that Hatred is not an interesting character.
Honestly, I don't understand why anyone has a "problem" with any characters on this show. I have yet to encounter a single resident of the Venture Verse that couldn't be enjoyed in one way or another. I find that VB is the most consistently well-written and well crafted show on television and hasn't ever shown signs of being anything else. That said, it is totally fair to have differing opinions and dislike the inclusion of Hatred in the main cast. THAT said, stating that Hatred is not an interesting character is simply untrue. Brock is actually a less complex character than he, if you really break it down, even though we have gotten to know him better (mostly because he's been a main character for much longer). The jokes come from the characters themselves and the situations at hand, not the other way around.
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:20pm
  • by Joe
  • (unregistered id: D27323FDCE)
Creepy Crooner,
Opinions about what is "interesting" or "not interesting" are highly subjective to personal opinion. Pretty arrogant of you to proclaim him an "interesting" character. Plenty of people out there that disagree with you.
Nov. 25, 2009, 10:50pm
  • by Creepy Crooner
  • (unregistered id: C0BBF56792)
I suppose you are right and it kind of comes down to semantics. I guess what I read into your post is that Hatred is not a "complex" character, which admittedly is different that "interesting".
It is true one could argue that they don't find the character interesting while I don;t think one could argue that said character is not complex (or one-dimensional or what have you).
I still don't see how Brock is any more interesting that Hatred (unless you are just a sucker for ultraviolence, which I suppose is fair) but that is just an opinion. My bad.

p.s. if this sounded at all sarcastic it was unintentional.
Nov. 25, 2009, 11:26pm
  • by Joe
Actually I see Brock as making vast character development from Season 2 going forward, moving much more beyond the mindless, hair-trigger ultra-violence of Season 1 to a much more nuanced character.

No sarcasm detected!
Nov. 26, 2009, 1:39am
  • by Chris98vf
  • (unregistered id: FA2CCF44A2)
Who's Captain Obvious? He in the next episode?

Doosh...
Nov. 26, 2009, 1:06am
  • by Mike
  • (unregistered id: 00360BBA91)
Chris98vf and Joe, you'll notice I killed your thread. Knock it the fuck off. I'm fine with arguments over whatever the hell but resorting to name calling and personal attacks won't be tolerated. If you guys want to fight about that crap you can trade emails and do it in private.
Nov. 26, 2009, 5:40am
  • by Chris98vf
  • (unregistered id: FA2CCF44A2)
Sorry Mike, got carried away. Great site.
Nov. 26, 2009, 5:50am
  • by Joe
Mike the owner of Mantis-Eye very wisely 86'd a very childish bout of name-calling between myself and Chris98vf, brought on by my childish referring to Chris as "Captain Obvious" (above) but I do want to take that comment back, so apologies to Chris!
Nov. 26, 2009, 5:40am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Vilianadhg unlocked One Year Later Apr. 28, 2024, 3:07am
  • Irinyki unlocked One Year Later Apr. 27, 2024, 11:44pm
  • Vilianakzy unlocked One Year Later Apr. 27, 2024, 7:04am
  • Irinypn unlocked One Year Later Apr. 27, 2024, 4:18am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites