Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by GilbertSmith
  • (unregistered id: 480A18BFE2)
The Hatred development is great, you're all nuts! Hank and Dean are what gives him validation in life right now, they're all that's keeping him going. He loves them and wants them to love him, but he has a weakness that jeopardizes everything for him. If you just can't look past the pedophilia and take him serious as a sympathetic character, pretend he's a werewolf or something.

It's not just pedophile cheap shots. I find it incredibly sympathetic, and I think that, if you're paying attention to the themes being developed in this season, you can see why Hatred is such an important piece of the puzzle.
Nov. 24, 2009, 1:24am
  • by Jory
  • (unregistered id: 75D2AC34D0)
Thanks, man. I really feel like Hatred needs some support. I think he's just terrific and think that his issues with pedophilia are presented with real sympathy. The show's a comedy, so it's never going to be something to cry bitter tears over, but I actually think they treat it as a real problem and in a more sympathetic light than they're willing to shed on most other characters.

It seems to me that people who think Hatred is a one-note "PEDOPHILIA LOL" gag simply aren't paying attention to the show. I can't think of any other explanation.
Nov. 24, 2009, 1:43am
  • by Creepy Crooner
  • (unregistered id: C0BBF56792)
I agree except that I actually think that the reason people hate Hatred so is because he has "replaced" Brock (who is almost everyone's favorite character, or among them at very least). Seems people have been lashing out at him much like Hank does within the context of the show (which is a hilarious development as life imitates art in this case) or like a kid lashes out at his new step parent when they "replace" the biological life-giver.
What people need to realize is that he is not replacing Brock in the show as a character. Brock still exists in the Ventureverse. Have some damn patience people! He'll be back.
In classic Doc and Jackson form, Hatred has progressed into a hilariously sympathetic character (as stated above) with all the pedo humor whisked in.
Nov. 24, 2009, 2:12am
Agreed. re: Hating Hatred because he "replaced" Brock.

I think the point is that he can't replace Brock, but he really, really wants to. That's actually part of what makes the character sort of lovable. The fact that Hank and Dean were genuinely trying to help the guy at the end (albeit in a misguided sort of way) made it even more touching, after a fashion. Dean especially really wants Hatred to be all right - its as if Hatred has filled the dog-Hitler shaped hole in his heart.
Nov. 24, 2009, 2:22am
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
  • (unregistered id: D04A79ADAC)
Hatred's a tricky situation, that's for sure. He was originally created as a creepy guy and acted as such in Cremation Creek. But then Doc and Jackson basically reinvented him as comic relief and then as another in the long line of failures in the world of Venture Brothers. It can be hard to see Hatred for the role he's currently playing instead of one of his previous roles. I think we need to give him more time to figure out who he is and what he's there for.
Nov. 24, 2009, 2:42am
  • by Creepy Crooner
  • (unregistered id: C0BBF56792)
Well said! Doc and Jackson (Jackson in particular I think) is fond of taking characters that began as humorous references, introducing them as actual characters and developing them. Brendon Small's Hatred was indeed much creepier and pretty much meant as a pure joke. He has now become one of the major characters in the series and people should regard him as such - as opposed to a minor joke character that is "ruining" their precious show.
Nov. 24, 2009, 7:55pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Irinyki unlocked One Year Later Apr. 27, 2024, 11:44pm
  • Vilianakzy unlocked One Year Later Apr. 27, 2024, 7:04am
  • Irinypn unlocked One Year Later Apr. 27, 2024, 4:18am
  • Vilianafdc unlocked One Year Later Apr. 27, 2024, 1:56am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites