Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by InActionMan
  • (unregistered id: D7B1C846A9)
To me this episode was really all about BUREAUCRACY.

-Watch and Ward as Guild customer service not being able to help and being snotty and sarcastic on top of it.

- Having to read the fine print to avoid getting screwed by extra-vengeance clauses, overtime minutes, pre-payment penalties etc.

I think 21 and 24's knowledge of their invulnerability is a bit of meta humor but, I think their adventure with #1 (Scott) is really a commentary how often times bureaucracies don't reward the best and the brightest but, just the opposite. In bureaucracies it is often not the bold innovators, the risk takers or the smartest people that survive. It is the people who know how to keep their head down, push their mistakes off onto their subordinates and coworkers and take credit for other peoples work that the bureaucracy rewards and protects.

The only positive attribute that 21 and 24 could be given is loyalty. However, this is debatable as being with the Monarch is probably the best option available to them. 21 would have to go back to living with his mom and 24 would have to move in with his dad and his exwife/step mom. Also 21 harbors dreams of usurping the Monarch taking Dr. Girlfriend for his own and becoming "The Viceroy".

The best part for me was the JJ chastising the Monarch for using the word "retard". In one of the commentaries Doc mentions that his mother works with the mentally handicapped and gave him all kinds of shit for using the word "retard" in an episode from a previous season. A shout out to very obsessive fans such as myself.

I wasn't really feeling the whole Voltron thing either. Never much liked Voltron as a kid and I am too old to have been into Power Rangers.

I am excited for the big climax but, sad that there are only three episodes left.
Aug. 2, 2008, 10:59pm
  • by Tess
  • (unregistered id: 4E429DF010)
I love you.
It's that kind of shit that really has me hooked on season three. The Bureaucracy of the Ventureverse is amazingly intriguing to me.
Thank you for putting it all so succinctly.

It's also interesting to look at in terms of what comes from real life... and we've been getting a lot of nerdy real-life stuff (conventions and things), but it's fun to see the Red Tape side of real life represented here. I imagine Doc was taking out a lot of frustration on Adult Swim's pencil pushing side.
Aug. 3, 2008, 12:55am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 4D59C24CC4)
Remember Dr. Killinger's extensive reengineering of the Monarch's henchmen? How he instilled positive motivation and pride in their work?

I wonder if he was given a free hand to hire new staff -- and whether Henchman No. 1 earned that rank through merit -- a system The Monarch ignores but exists, nevertheless.

I wonder if there are a series of exams and promotional ladders that those two simply ignore, because they're happy where they are, and they have that special protected status 'fixed' people in a corporation get when they don't do anything notable enough to be fired about, but also know so much of the unspoken rules of the joint that others find them OK to work with. Aside from that combo of expendability and immortality, they just might be the soul of their group, even though other more qualified henchmen are champing at the bit to be the guy TM chooses for a bit of illegal clandestine arching... and titty-barring... and potato-skinning.
Aug. 3, 2008, 11:32pm
  • by Creepy Crooner
  • (unregistered id: 8F73EA59C9)
Yes! Very well put. The bureaucracy subtext seems totally right on! I also watched the commentary where Doc was talking about being chastised by his mom for using the word "retard", and that Jonas scolding the Monarch for his usage of said "no-no word" (and The Monarch's subsequent damning of old-school villainous taunts) was an obvious reference to this.
Aug. 4, 2008, 10:57pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Vikixoh unlocked One Year Later May. 11, 2024, 4:03am
  • Vikipxc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 9:04pm
  • Vikixsc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 8:49pm
  • Vikimll unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 7:50pm

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites