Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by Joe
  • (unregistered id: D197A7F08E)
Hard to know how to feel about this ep. With all of the setup, it felt like it could have been an hour-long episode.

It also reminded me a little bit of that Brenden Fraser movie Blast From The Past.

Jackson and Doc have really cranked up the "destroy the heroic image of Jonas Venture Sr." machine this season, that's for sure.
He abandons a dozen (or more) young orphans seemingly without a second thought.

A pragmatic snap decision to be sure, but hardly keeping with the heroic image of a '60s cartoon, like the key party and his lousy parenting skills

I kinda give the rest of Team Venture a pass on the whole "abandon the orphans thing", as they were all totally crazy-insane from that "mood enhancer" drug, but Jonas wasn't.

I wonder if this is leading up to something or not.

I give this one high marks for sheer scope (an entire community right underneath the Venture Compound, a tiny-but-not-Antman guy trapped in the fallout shelter, a HAL/Mother-like AI computer, and oh yeah, at least one ICBM under the grounds as well.)

Just wish they would have done more with it, that's all.
Jul. 12, 2008, 7:03pm
  • by cpc65
  • (unregistered id: 21E9E403DB)
I'm starting to suspect that Jonas might not really be dead but went all Anakin to Darth Vader. They've been very vague about his "death” and even the council of 13 didn't want to discuss it. We have been seeing that Jonas probably did start out as a good man and father and that his morality and his attitude towards Rusty (secret jealousy that his son was getting more attention then him maybe? The Doctor is Sin ep) started to change over time. I'm sure we'll learn much more about this and what may have changed him as this season moves on. Also, I predict Jonas’ actual status will be the subject of this season's cliffhanger ending! He's not really dead!
Jul. 15, 2008, 3:15am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 33BD923753)
What if Jonas Venture was a double agent?

Why else would a second-rate scientist like Rusty get decades-long OSI protection? It's not to protect Rusty -- if they were serious about it, they'd stop his pill-popping and his adventures and negotiate a withdrawal from GCI arching -- it's to protect the vast amount of R&D Jonas left behind when he defected.

Jonas had the ego to want more and more power, and having adventures with his original Team Venture would only slake that so much. The Guild would make him part of the Council of 12, just for coming over with a book of plans. If Haine of the OSI could go over as Sgt. Hatred without getting a target on his back, there has to be a reason why -- I think it's the leverage someone like Jonas Venture would have in truly upsetting the balance of power, if their cold war went hot....

Also, I think Jonas either hated Rusty, or wanted what the Monarch wants -- for Rusty to be more than he is, to uphold a legacy, to be more than a decaying addict.
Jul. 15, 2008, 6:15am
  • by That Guy! From the Internet!
  • (unregistered id: C039DEBA32)
Personally, I can't see Jonas going over to the Guild. His character flaw seems to be self-absorption, to the point of neglecting others: Rusty, Dr. Entmann, the orphans. But his ego and his pride has always been in his success as a (benevolent) super-scientist, which is a pretty dire thing to compromise to join the GCI.

To put it another way, if Rusty---the horrible person that he is---had enough belief in his inherent goodness to reject the Guild, I'd imagine it would require astounding circumstances for Jonas to accept the same offer.

-----

Geez, I was trying to think of how many people have just been forgotten in the Venture Compound. There's Entmann, the orphans, Hector, Swifty, the E-Den couple. Good god, it's like the Bermuda Triangle in there. Only, you know, without fake ghost pirate captains.
Jul. 15, 2008, 5:54pm
  • by cpc65
  • (unregistered id: 21E9E403DB)
I'm not trying to suggest Jonas joined the Guild or became totally evil (although the Vader refernce I made would imply that I guess). But if he still is alive, something must have made him want to drop out of sight. Maybe he's still "good" but wants the world to think he was killed ala Racer X. I still predict he's alive and will resurface in the season 3 finalee.
Jul. 16, 2008, 2:51am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Vikixoh unlocked One Year Later May. 11, 2024, 4:03am
  • Vikipxc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 9:04pm
  • Vikixsc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 8:49pm
  • Vikimll unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 7:50pm

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites