Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by Phil
  • (unregistered id: 4453D1431A)
My least favorite of the season so far. It pains me to report that. I've tried to articulate my feelings in my review for www.noisetosignal.org but I'm sure a lot of you (maybe even most of you) will disagree.
Jul. 7, 2008, 11:04pm
  • by Olindoom
  • (unregistered id: 19803777C4)
did anyone get that Dr. Quym looks way too much like rusty after they made the swing party reference? Colonel gentlemen is as gay as a parade yet they introduce him as her father. I bet Jonas Venture is the bio-dad.
With this in mind it adds a layer of creepyness that makes this one yet another classic!
Jul. 8, 2008, 12:29am
  • by Olindoom
while I'm on that tangent the Monarch also has red hair and is drawn way close to Rusty AND Dr. Quymn..... I bet the uber big joke is that Jonas Venture Sr.'s seed has sprung up all over the Venture Brother's universe
Jul. 8, 2008, 2:24am
  • by Mike
  • (unregistered id: 1810A2A1DF)
They didn't introduce him as her father though. She called him by his first name but called her mother 'mum', which implies to me at least that he's her step-father. I'm totally open to the possibility of Jonas Venture being her father though.
Jul. 8, 2008, 3:10am
  • by That Guy! From the Internet!
  • (unregistered id: C039DEBA32)
I don't know. As weird as VBros gets, I'm personally doubtful if JP and DH would cross the line into incest. Maybe, you know, more than one family has genes for red hair in the VB universe?
Jul. 8, 2008, 4:57pm
  • by Olindoom
OK just my theory but I bet that Dr. Venture, dr. quymn and the Monarch are half siblings
Jul. 10, 2008, 9:27pm
  • by Joe
  • (unregistered id: D197A7F08E)
I definitely agree with you regarding Dean and the Twins, that's exactly what I was trying to say in my posts above.
I also thought the character of Ginny was needlessly stereotyped and overdone.
I mean, we all know that Jackson and Doc are FAR better writers than that stuff...so why is that what we've been getting? *confused*
I would also dearly love a flashback-free episode during this season. Just a simple story without the need for tons of exposition. Just my 2 cents is all.
Jul. 8, 2008, 4:13am
Seriously... it saddens me that you guys are so offended by this material. This episode was simply hilarious and Jackson's writing has NEVER been better! This episode, along with The Buddy System were two of THE funniest Venture Bros episodes of the season, if not of all time! Ginny's character was hilarious and no more stereotypical than Brock. The fact that the twin girls are raging hormone sex bombs is also hilarious and the attempted "rape" of Dean was the icing on the cake!
Seriously you guys - if this kind of material doesn't suit your fancy then I'm sorry to say that VB is not the show for you.
Jul. 8, 2008, 4:33am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: AE6769E556)
I think *you* need to chill the fuck out. Seriously.

VB brings up adult topics, and adults talk about them as adults. That means wondering whether Dean will cringe at the memory of his assault (he was drugged and pinned down, and not interested in those girls -- no air quotes about it, son), or whether he'll follow his dad in treasuring that as one of the few times he'd come close to sex.

That means wondering whether Ginny will ever be happy babysitting a woman and her daughters, and somehow waiting for her devotion to be reciprocated. (Her stereotype didn't bother me, since we've had years to get past *Brock's* stereotype as the perfect man of destruction.)

It also means wondering if I'll ever stop cringing at the evil Doc Venture manages to do, every week, from cloning a child he killed to putting down MBQ just after he saved kids' lives by sacrificing his robot hand to stealing a fertility idol to just taking a kidney from his kids, when he needs one. I don't want to become a callous bastard like you, CC, and need ever-increasing cruelties to get my jollies. If I wanted that, I'd watch ASSY MC GEE and SQUIDBILLIES. Feh.

And as for the underage sex concern? Well, have you heard of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund? They spend time and money resisting Federal and state prosecutions of people who do nothing but draw funny, funny pictures that somehow get called obscene. I don't care how much money Time Warner has (and considering how BET's avoided being shut down as a public menace, I assume it's a *lot*), no network can ignore rabid people pointed at a target that we might find funny, but they find a threat to their children's lives... especially when that threat airs, technically, on a children's network.

I know the VB writers know what they're doing, and I appreciate it. But I'm not going to be all light-hearted about issues that get taken seriously out in the real world -- if they didn't want people to think about them, they wouldn't write about them. This show is for me, seriously, so seriously? Twist and rotate.
Jul. 8, 2008, 5:28am
  • by DUDE, IT's A CARTOON!
  • (unregistered id: F1E5B40A2F)
The show was made to make you laugh.
The show isn't a freaking psychological test.
IT's a show MEANT to be FUNNY. Come ON!
Jul. 8, 2008, 7:02am
Whoa, dude. Thank you for just proving my point. You obviously take the show way too seriously. Take a minute to realize how funny these episodes are and also that Venture Bros is a far darker and more cruel (and obviously far superior) show than Assy McGee or Squidbillies.
Also, no one is worried about the underage sex thing except maybe some weird ultraprudes. It's funny in context. Get over it.

See the comment below for further clarification.

p.s. Adult Swim isn't a children's network. It's right there in the title. :)
Jul. 8, 2008, 10:39pm
  • by Creepy Crooner
  • (unregistered id: 8F73EA59C9)
sorry. I meant "above". The comment above. Word.
Jul. 8, 2008, 10:39pm
  • by JOe
  • (unregistered id: 2524052EFC)
So because I have a problem when the underage sex thing being shown on VB, I'm a "ultraprude"?

An ultraprude that just happens to be in the swinging lifestyle, but an ultraprude nonetheless.

Not a chance pal. But thanks for the asinine assumption. Got any others?
Jul. 9, 2008, 1:29am
You betcha. I'm full of em! =)
It's not an assumption by the way. If an episode of animation this mild really pushed your buttons, clearly you are not the target audience of any show on adult swim. Your message above is proof that you are a little too fragile for this type of comedy (if hilarious stereotyped characters and even more hilarious teen sex antics really make you that uneasy). Frankly your comment that Doc and Jackson are better writers than "this" is just insulting and proves that you really don't understand their show or "get it" at all.
Jul. 9, 2008, 2:01am
  • by Joe
  • (unregistered id: 2524052EFC)
Thanks for another asinine assumption. You are definitely full of them and other such crap.

Frankly, you're wrong.

And further, who the hell are you to decide that I'm not the target audience for this show or that I don't understand the show or "get it" at all, simply because I disagree with one scene out of 30+ episodes?

Go soak your head in some hot water and see if shrinks your ego down a little.
Jul. 9, 2008, 2:53am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Hahaha! You amuse me, Joe. It seems you are getting quite upset about this whole issue. I was merely pointing out that if you are offended by such material maybe you should seek out shows where the writers don't "stoop" to such levels. ;)
Jul. 9, 2008, 3:46am
  • by Joe
  • (unregistered id: D197A7F08E)
Glad I amuse you. And nice job of backpeddling. Ever think of running for public office?
Jul. 9, 2008, 5:32am
  • by Creepy Crooner
No. Politics are boring. I don't see how I was "backpeddling" in any way though. Seriously, if the scenes in this episode disturbed you or made you feel uncomfortable in any way then I would love to know what show you've actually been watching for the past 30+ episodes. My whole point is that there have been much more "offensive" things on the show prior to this episode, and frankly - if ANY of it actually offends you then I say again, this is not the show for you. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, dude.
Jul. 9, 2008, 10:04pm
  • by Dude, You are such a cry baby
  • (unregistered id: C7981CF234)
But please continue. This is quite LULZ worthy. "Look at me, I am a swinger" Bah...
Go watch some "Dora the explorer" I am sure there you wont find anything upsetting.
Jul. 10, 2008, 12:14am
  • by Mike
  • (unregistered id: 027D18FA77)
Alright guys, cool off. I don't mind discussions and differing opinions but you're both resorting to name calling at this point so quit it. Plus this thread is getting really skinny. Jesus.
Jul. 10, 2008, 6:02am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 1103637DFB)
Adult Swim isn't a separate network; Cartoon Network is the channel, the holder of VB's copyright, and the wedge that gets it seen in so many households because for the majority of airtime, *it caters to kids*.

Mock me all you want, but don't twist the facts to suit your argument.
Jul. 9, 2008, 8:25am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Actually Adult Swim IS a seperate network. This was done back in 2005, mostly for ratings purposes. Behold... wikipedia:

"Adult Swim, usually stylized [adult swim], is an adult-oriented television network sharing channel space with Cartoon Network in the United States."

If you would like to read more you can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_Swim which has the full rundown with sources and everything!
I'm also fairly certain that Adult Swim is much more popular on the whole than Cartoon Network.

Basically my point is that no one at Turner is worried about putting adult oriented programming on their network, despite the fact that it shared airtime with a children's network. So why are you?
Jul. 9, 2008, 9:56pm
Phil, I think you did a pretty good job with that recap. One thing I don't really agree with you on is your displeasure at being shown the darker side of Jonas Sr.

I think the way he's being handled this season makes a lot of sense and is consistent with both the characters and the themes of the show. You're right in saying that Jonas Sr.'s bad parenting explains Rusty's equally-bad parenting. It doesn't remove Rusty's responsibility for being a bad parent, but it does show that he never had positive role models to learn from. That's more realistic than assuming that Rusty just couldn't be the great father that Jonas was to him.

Besides, there's still plenty of failure on Rusty's end. While Jonas was a terrible father, he was still a great super-scientist. Rusty's inability to follow his father scientifically is still his own flaw, not Jonas'.

Thematically, the whole show's about failure, so why shouldn't Jonas be a failure in some way, too? Moreso, JP and DH said that an undercurrent is that the glorious promises of the future made in the 50s and 60s (flying cars, robot servants, etc.) have come to nothing. The futurism of that period failed, and that's sort of being shown in Jonas Sr. On the surface, he's the model of progress and action but he's really just as screwed up as everyone else.
Jul. 8, 2008, 5:19pm
  • by Phil
Good call on the Jonas stuff; I agree entirely, even if I didn't realize it until you phrased it so well.

I guess I was assuming that "failure" in the Venture universe was a fairly recent development. The original Team Venture, after all, certainly seemed to have their act together far more than the current. I went along thinking that it was Rusty's generation that let the whole thing fall apart.

But that was presumptuous of me, and you're quite right that this keeps up the overall theme for the show.

I STILL would perhaps prefer to think of Jonas as a good man whose son just couldn't live up to his own potential...but that's selfish of me, and I'm sure with time I'll come around to this more "real" version of the man.

So thanks for that very productive disagreement. :-)
Jul. 8, 2008, 5:49pm
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 1103637DFB)
I think in the episode TWENTY YEARS TO MIDNIGHT, JP and DH showed just how flawed the original Team Venture was. Failure also happens to individuals' characters, as well as their accomplishments.

It's gonna be an interesting compare-and-contrast once WATCHMEN premieres....
Jul. 9, 2008, 8:30am
  • by Phil
What are you referring to in 20 Years to Midnight? Col. Gentleman? I agree he certainly came across as flawed, but he was also an extremely minor character to us at that point. Casting him in different shadows isn't as jarring as revealing the main character's father (with whom we've already spent a lot of time) to be a different kind of person than we would have suspected.
Jul. 9, 2008, 4:02pm
I was thinking about Watchmen comparisons, too. Specifically, the first Nite Owl's admission that anyone who engages in either superheroism or supervillainy probably has some psychological issues. That seems very true in the Venture universe.
Jul. 9, 2008, 11:44pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Vikixoh unlocked One Year Later May. 11, 2024, 4:03am
  • Vikipxc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 9:04pm
  • Vikixsc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 8:49pm
  • Vikimll unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 7:50pm

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites