Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by hank
  • (unregistered id: B4B4ADC2E7)
one thing that really bugged me was that the door to the E-Den first opened in (doc & billy pushing it) then later doc opens the door out (when billy comes stumbling out). even on the first watch that struck me as lazy.

dermott HAS to be brocks kid - for so many obvious reasons. And really - people dont think he looks like brock? come on, how often do kids not look like their parents? its pretty common. One thing though is they both have nice blonde hair.

also a side note - has anyone ever speculated why Dean & Hank have different hair colors and look so different? Im pretty sure this has never been touched upon in an episode and it's bugged me for awhile.
Jul. 1, 2008, 4:22am
  • by THEBIGMAMAFREAK
  • (unregistered id: 180DB3087A)
We've never known who HANK & DEAN's original birth mother is. There was that episode (forget the name), where they all get stuck inside DR. VENTURE's pleasure machine and the boys refer to "when MOMMY was alive"...apparently they had a pet dog then too. Not too many clues or red herrings have been given.

In "...HAND OF FATE" when PETE & BILLY visit the young adult DR.VENTURE, we see HELPER as a nanny with the baby VENTURE twins as infants in his robotic arms with their different hair colors.
If anyone remembers more about the original HANK & DEAN or possible birth mother, clue me in.

I own both DVDs and have seen every episode, but I'm not one to go over it all with a fine tooth comb for minutia, though I'd count the show as probably my favorite (along with THE SHIELD). Thanks!
Jul. 1, 2008, 4:44am
  • by Pirate Hippy
  • (unregistered id: CA31821874)
We're never told who Rusty's mother is, either. His father makes lots of appearances, his mother is never even mentioned. I don't know why fans of this show don't speculate more about that particular glaring absence.
Jul. 1, 2008, 11:15am
  • by Miller Industries
  • (unregistered id: ACBD24991A)
Scamp was their dog. Watch the pilot on the Season 1 DVD.

I think we are to assume that Myra is their mother. Doc admitted he F'd her. She calls them her boys. Her mania has to be founded in some truth.

I want to say that Hank and Dean are so different for the same reasons why Doc and JJ are so different. One is nerdy and a has-been, while the other takes opportunity and is a success. Not all twins look alike. And yes, they are twins. Hank was born a few minutes before Dean. They said so.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that Dermitt is Brock's son. It makes the most sense. I don't think it could be Rust's, since he's only been with one woman (Myra, I assume). Billy is a virgin, so that rules him out. He could be Hatred's. I mean, I see the similarities, but Dermitt didn't know he'd show up. Brock is the best bet.

If you disagree consider this: the episode is very Brock centered and very fatherhood centered. Brock and Doc's convo. Action Johnny talking about his father. Doc scolding Hank about him having sex. Dermitt getting on Brock's nerves. The Father picking up the cloned son. Doc O's convo with Brock.

That's all the evidence I need. But, in reality, who knows? Jackson and Doc H might be trying to pull the woll over our eyes....
Jul. 1, 2008, 11:33am
  • by Pirate Hippy
All excellent points about fatherhood being a HUGE theme in this episode. Also the continuing theme of failure really does point to Brock being Dermott's father. What bigger failure could it be to Brock to have a son who is a total know-nothing poser who gets beaten up by a spaz like Dean? Brock's the father. If he isn't, JP and DH have a very large rabbit to pull out of their hat to explain away all the false clues.

I agree I lean towards Myra being the mother of Hank and Dean, however, nowhere have JP and DH told us that Rusty has only had sex once, or only with one woman. He said he lost his virginity to a very horrific looking woman - the young Myra is quite nice looking.

Also, in the latest promo we see in next week's episode Rusty about to have sex with a nice looking redhead about his age and he implies that he, or they, have not had sex in 19 years. Maybe at age 24 he lost his virginity to an ugly woman, and had sex with Myra and this other mystery woman as well? I guess we'll have to wait til Friday to learn more.
Jul. 1, 2008, 11:58am
  • by Pirate Hippy
Someone on wiki makes an additional point that we have not mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermott_Fictel

***At the end of the episode "The Buddy System", Dermott's mother comes by with a car to pick him up. Dermott and his mother seem to have agreed to come to the camp for the sole purpose of meeting his possible father, and perhaps suggests Dermott has suffered emotionally as a result of not seeing his father, which is evident in his aggressive attitude toward Brock (accusing him of "walking away" when Brock turned around to avoid a confrontation).***
Jul. 1, 2008, 12:08pm
  • by DeimosMasque
  • (unregistered id: DD74F4CF47)
I think people are reading way to in to the "Yeah Walk Away" line.

Having known kids like Dermott, I think the "Yeah walk away" was along the same lines as the "Thug-Henchman" that the Monarch had who said the exact same thing to Hank.

Its basically a phrased used to show how "tough" you are because your antagonist was "too afraid to stand up to you" and that's fine because your so bad ass you'd have severely hurt them if they hadn't "walked away."
Jul. 1, 2008, 5:32pm
  • by Miller Industries
  • (unregistered id: ACBD24991A)
Yeah, but think about GH and JP. They would want us to look at that and make a connection. Either it's a good connection, or a dummy one.
Jul. 2, 2008, 5:21am
  • by Pirate Hippy
That "walk away" comment isn't a single stand alone piece of evidence, it hangs together as part of a much larger web of interconnected and mutually reinforcing pieces of evidence. The theme of fatherhood, the theme of fathers trying to advise Brock, the theme of Brock's own lack of completion as a father (he's still playing the role of school yard bully when talking with Dr. Orpheus; he hasn't taken on the role of father yet, in spite of playing surrogate parent to Hank and Dean), the theme of sons and fathers not getting along, it all goes together as a package. If that "walk away" line was the only bit of evidence, you might have a point - but it isn't. There's a whole long laundry list of evidence we've mentioned in this thread and also listed on the wiki. It all hangs together. If Brock as father turns out to be false, JP and DH have a whole lot of explaining to do. Not saying it can't happen, just saying it is unlikely, given their past record as writers of The Venture Brothers.
Jul. 3, 2008, 3:31am
  • by Doc Watson
  • (unregistered id: F93E69382C)
Hatred is a pedophile, so I don't think that DH and JP are going to deal with the implications of him having a son. It'd just be too fucked up.
Jul. 1, 2008, 8:44pm
  • by Pirate Hippy
I've known families where the children are a mix of blond and red headed children - it's perfectly common to get both traits from the parents and grandparents in the same set of siblings. I don't see anything odd about Hank and Dean being children of Rusty (red headed) and Myra (blond). It's simple genetics. Kids take on characteristics from both sides of the family going many generations back, so you can have siblings that don't look much like each other.

However, interestingly, promo for next week's episode shows Rusty "getting it on" in a tent with what appears to be a red headed old flame and he mentions something about the last time they had sex (or he had sex; unclear) being 19 years, 2 months, so many days, etc. So maybe Myra isn't the mother, or maybe Hank and Dean have different mothers, or something. We'll see soon enough.
Jul. 1, 2008, 11:13am
  • by DeimosMasque
Something I had specifically thought was "He said he was 24 when he lost his virginity and 'You should have seen her' in a way that suggested she was ugly."

It was never said he lost his virginity to Myra, or that Myra was his only time.
Jul. 1, 2008, 5:37pm
  • by BFunk
  • (unregistered id: C0427C099F)
I saw that promo too. She (presumably Dr. Quymn) wasn't "horrific" or anything, but we don't know what she looked like 19 years ago. For all we know she could have looked much worse back then but gotten into better shape or something at this point. Just speculation. Either way, I think it's pretty clear that she's the one Rusty lost his virginity to.

Interesting point about Hank and Dean possibly having different mothers. That hadn't occurred to me before but now that you mention it, I could definitely see Dr. Quymn being Dean's mother and Myra being Hank's mother. That would explain the hair colors and differences in personality between the two (not that their differences necessarily need an explanation).
Jul. 1, 2008, 9:01pm
  • by DeimosMasque
They've been stated to be twins on more than on occasion, they can be fraternal twins and not look alike at all. Dean has his father's hair and mother's nose (assuming Myra) while Hank Has Myra's hair and nose.
Jul. 1, 2008, 11:45pm
  • by Pirate Hippy
Yeah I was just throwing out an idea there since there now seems to be both a blond and a redhead in Rusty's sex life. I wasn't being that serious. Obviously the fact that Hank and Dean are always referred to as 'the Venture twins' makes it highly unlikely they have different mothers, without having to do a lot of extra explaining that wouldn't sound very convincing. We still haven't been told definitively who the mother is, though the evidence so far still points strongly towards Myra (based on her appearance in the Hand of Fate episode).
Jul. 3, 2008, 2:50am
  • by That Guy! From the Internet!
  • (unregistered id: C039DEBA32)
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that "Action" Johnny is Dermott's father. His being stuck in the bathysphere for most of his life would account for his being an absent father. The blond hair is then a match, and Dermott's physique could be from his mother's side. I think that putting Johnny in the situation would be closer to the failure theme, too: it'd be a nice reveal that a screwed-up man-child with absentee father issues would be forced to accept an unknown son.

Maybe I'm just hoping that Dermott isn't Brock's son. Between Jonas/Doc and Doc/Hank & Dean, we have enough fucked-up father-son relationships in the main cast already. It wouldn't add anything to the show to force Brock into the same relationship. Brock's already one of the most competent father-figures in the show anyway when looking after the boys.

And anyway, I think the implications are just too-heavy handed. It's so obvious that we're meant to think Dermott is Brock's son, and it just seems to be setting up a curveball later in the season.
Jul. 1, 2008, 6:15pm
  • by Mike
  • (unregistered id: 027D18FA77)
Why is everyone expecting a 'curveball' from this show? When have they ever done that? Hank & Dean being clones was made fairly obvious throughout season one and people kept calling it too obvious and then it turned out they were clones. Dr. Girlfriend's confession at the end of season two was pretty much nothing that anyone predicted. Jonas Jr. was hinted at throughout season one, etc.

The show keeps secrets about the characters for sure, but it hasn't ever purposely hinted at one thing only to go "gottcha!" and it turns out to be something totally different. Everything that has been a surprise (like David Bowie being Sovereign) was never hinted at prior to the reveal.
Jul. 1, 2008, 7:40pm
I was thinking the multiple references that Dr. Girlfriend was a guy; the implanted baboon uterus, etc. I remember a lot of speculation that was gonna be season 2's cliffhanger. Turns out she just smoked a lot.
Jul. 1, 2008, 8:05pm
Sorry 'bout the double-post, didn't mean to submit earlier.

The other example was the womb scenes in season 1. It was set up the whole season that Rusty was the victim and then revealed that he was the one eating JJ.
Jul. 1, 2008, 8:08pm
  • by hank
  • (unregistered id: B4B4ADC2E7)
"Maybe I'm just hoping that Dermott isn't Brock's son. Between Jonas/Doc and Doc/Hank & Dean, we have enough fucked-up father-son relationships in the main cast already. It wouldn't add anything to the show to force Brock into the same relationship. Brock's already one of the most competent father-figures in the show anyway when looking after the boys."

Yeah but maybe that is what they are going to do with Dermit & Brock. Perhaps brock will accept dermit and their relationship will turn into the only "healthy" father-son relationship the show has ever seen.
maybe thats the curveball youre looking for.
Jul. 2, 2008, 3:33pm
  • (unregistered id: 4F745352AB)
Ah, could be, could be....

Really, we're all just arguing over the same evidence anyway. DH and JP are obviously setting *something* up here, so we'll get the correct answer eventually. As long as it adds something funny to the show (which it no doubt will), I'll be happy.
Jul. 3, 2008, 4:23am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Vikixoh unlocked One Year Later May. 11, 2024, 4:03am
  • Vikipxc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 9:04pm
  • Vikixsc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 8:49pm
  • Vikimll unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 7:50pm

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites