Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

Not to nitpick, but why doesn't Sergeant Hatred, with his military fetishism, use military "24 hour" timekeeping instead of "civilian" 12-hour am/pm?

OK. That clearly was a nitpick, but it would make sense.
Jun. 30, 2008, 8:22am
  • by barrytown
  • (unregistered id: 936F26E427)
actually, that makes perfect sense
Jun. 30, 2008, 11:17am
  • by Roscoe
  • (unregistered id: BD83BFB0C7)
HA! I thought that too!
Then I decided maybe it was somthing [He] and Dr.Venture came to an agreement upon when they became.....uh, Arch-er and Arched? Anyway I like the thought of Sgt. Hatered Using Military time at there "Meet-n-greet" and Doc lashing out at him for being pretentious, or something.
Anyway, yeah. It bugged me too.
Jun. 30, 2008, 11:26am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: AE6769E556)
I thought it was deliberate, myself.

Check it. If a sex offender (on the outside, as rehabilitated as a death threat from the Guild can make him) knows that his archenemy has an annual child day camp, and he has that arch's schedule in advance, *and* he's so detail-oriented he makes the arch fill out a sensitivities worksheet, prior to their contract.

*And* Dr. Zin, one of his faves, would be stopping by, if Johnny's around....*wouldn't* the Sarge know when to drop in by accident -- and to stage a confusion over using non-military time, as an excuse?

For the Sarge, he sees his former victims, new kids, an admired arching inspiration, and squeezes in some arching practice. For him, it's all good....
Jul. 1, 2008, 2:22am
  • by Pirate Hippy
  • (unregistered id: CA31821874)
Well, it sounds like the Guild is doing his paperwork for him, arranging "menacing" advents between himself and Dr. Venture. The Guild isn't military, maybe the Guild doesn't use military time either.
Jul. 1, 2008, 10:46am
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 3B90826AD8)
I know it started out as a throwaway joke, then got momentum during the wedding. It's a handy meme -- look, these guys are so unprotected and naif-like that they can't even protect themselves from a villain who Went Too Far.

But that villain now is the main evil character for this season, and he's in contact with his two victims each and every episode. For a man who has a court order restricting his contact with children, it's funny he got permission (from the Guild, if not the ineffectual justice system) to arch the father of the two people we know he harmed.

But he was a villain when he did it; the brothers recognized him in costume. He was a villain even when Brock was trying the prove the Guild existed, and when the brothers were infants. Didn't Rusty's Law apply to child molestation? Wouldn't that be a prime reason for the law to be enforced?

How did the molestation happen?

If Sgt. Hatred was actively henching back then, why was he poaching on the Monarch's man? Doesn't the Guild severely prosecute a villain who goes off assignment? Hell, the Monarch almost got iced for arching Dr. Venture before he got Guild sanction, before he even stopped being a henchman for Phantom Limb. The way the Monarch has reacted to his deposing, it's as if he has never arched anyone else. So, how did Sgt. Hatred get close to the kids, with or without Guild sanction?

How did the molestation happen?

And the boys speak openly of the bad man; either Hatred was on the compound premises, or he took them somewhere else. There is nowhere Brock Samson wouldn't go to save to save those kids, and he'd ask them what happened.

Sgt. Hatred is a known child molester.
He molested Brock's boys.
Why isn't he dead?

How did the molestation...

Why isn't he dead because he closed down the OSI investigation into the Guild, and thereby became a traitor to the unit? It's not like that Big H hides anything...

Like, man, how?

All I know is that if anyone would be dead by now in the Venture universe, it would be a man who betrayed Brock Samson, then openly raped his charges, without any meaningful penalty. And this man now has the right to bother -- molest -- his entire family, as part of an agreement with a nest of villains Samson spent years trying to flush out and destroy.

Sargeant Hatred is the luckiest fucking man on the face of the Earth. But for how long?
Jul. 1, 2008, 10:49am
  • by Pirate Hippy
Careful there, you don't want to use the word "meme" here. Some anonymous internet user will snicker at you.

I'm pretty sure there's way too much back story for most of your questions to ever get answered fully. It's pretty clear that the Venture Brothers are constantly getting into jams or being kidnapped (or killed and cloned). There's so much wackiness going on that we are probably only seeing one tenth of it all. That was one of the points of the Escape to the House of Mummies Part II episode. Don't sweat it, we'll probably never know the full story and we probably are not meant to know.
Jul. 1, 2008, 11:01am
  • by CaptainGS
  • (unregistered id: B5BA42DF52)
Who's anonymous? I snicker openly and honestly. My name is Garett Strickland, and my number is (503) 334-6305. Call me up and I'll snicker at you in real time.
Jul. 1, 2008, 9:51pm
  • by Pirate Hippy
Then you are even more pathetic in real life. Get a dictionary.
Jul. 3, 2008, 3:21am
  • by Pirate Hippy
I just realized, you're Dermott Fictel, aren't you? The snickering, the sneering, the contempt, the unearned sense of superiority, the inability to grasp "big words" like "meme", the insatiable need to troll - you're Dermott, aren't you? Admit it.
Jul. 3, 2008, 9:27am
  • by CaptainGS
  • (unregistered id: B5BA42DF52)
In point of fact, I'm just playfully poking fun at a fellow fan of a show I happen to very much enjoy.

I know what memes are, sir. But I find it amusing and pretentious when words like 'meme' and 'trope' and 'gravitas' are used with the utmost seriousness in a discussion of a cartoon. It reeks of someone taking themselves *way* too seriously, and aiming to impress.

You know what else characterizes the exact same thing? An over-zealous tendency to get all uppity and defensive.

To that extent, I'd say we're evenly matched.
Jul. 3, 2008, 9:33pm
  • by cgeye
  • (unregistered id: 0499F4AD4E)
Did I ever post in a way previously that gave you permission to make fun of me?

Have we ever been formally introduced, so you'd know whether you were on safe ground, to make fun of me? You wouldn't do that to Brock Samson, now would you? You'd be *nice*. Don't be a Dermott Fictel to the Internets.... I hope your mother raised you better than that.

Did you even think that taking this show that seriously was a way of performing an homage to the super-science faux gravitas AstroBase GO! serves up for us, every blessed week VB is on?

And am I a fucking *clown* to you? Am I?

Lastly, were you brave enough not to substitute someone else's contact information for your own, on a public board, and not fit in yanking one more person's chain?
Jul. 4, 2008, 9:03am
  • by hank
  • (unregistered id: 992BA4FF2B)
everyone coooooooollllll oouuuuttttt.
Jul. 4, 2008, 8:38pm
  • by That Guy! From the Internet!
  • (unregistered id: B2886A6CAD)
Re: arching.

Maybe "arching" has specific connotations within the Guild? Like, your arch is your primary rival, but not necessarily your sole rival. So even though the Monarch was Dr. Venture's arch, it wouldn't mean that Sgt. Hatred or Baron Werner Underbheit couldn't occasionally attack him, just that they couldn't focus all their attention on him?

But arching aside, we know the Guild doesn't look kindly on unwanted sexual advances, so Hatred should've been punished by the Guild as well as from the courts.

Maybe the Guild looked the other way since Hatred has been an important member for so long? The guy did infiltrate OSI, after all.
Jul. 2, 2008, 2:31am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Vikixoh unlocked One Year Later May. 11, 2024, 4:03am
  • Vikipxc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 9:04pm
  • Vikixsc unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 8:49pm
  • Vikimll unlocked One Year Later May. 10, 2024, 7:50pm

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites