Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by Captain V
  • (unregistered id: 03A96A9F11)
Random (Mostly Inane and Insane) Notes:

- Brock's old football jersey number from State U is 72, and he's obviously still a big fan to this day.

- Two separate episodes this season have characters mockingly mimic people's eyewear with their hands up to their own face. WW mocks BM's mask. Hank mocks Doc's glasses.
It was probably hard and very specific to direct the animation on originally, so they used the bit twice.

- Yes, the Monarch took credit for BM and Jonas's demise. But I guess they didn't believe him (or care) and Red Death basically 'got' the Monarch's seat, b/c a seat was promised to him by Dr. Mrs. The Monarch.

- Dean made the check out to 'The Mighty Monarch' and Monarch clearly got it cashed at the Guild Credit Union. Cause he ain't ever going back to his old bank... and they wouldn't cash a check not made out to his real name of Malcom F.

- I surmise Sirena may actually be a gold digger or more accurately she just likes to play games with boys. Regardless, it'll be interesting if Dean falls for his brothers girlfriend and a love triangle forms. Or... maybe it was all a one off thing. I feel like her being in class with Dean was beyond coincidence too.

- Seems, every single professor at SU is either a super villain or a super scientist.

- Dr. Z would of course use the same palm aid as the Monarch.

- At least two Cohen Bros. film references; Handy Dandy is a reference to the palm aid in "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" / the board room jump is a direct parody of a scene from "The Hudsucker Proxy".

- Hopefully, we can get a "Barton Fink" reference next week.

- How'd Pirate Captain get Rusty back inside? A stick?

- The Monarch mentions amber grier (spelling?) in the Handy Dandy. Basically, a substance harvested from whale vomit used to make perfume and cosmetics. It comes up in "Futurama" and "Bob's Burgers" too. Basically, only good cartoons mention it.

- Both Monarch and Hank want money for new stuff (Hank Cave / Cacoon) and have very detailed blueprints ready to go.

- Both Rusty and the Monarch have blown through an entire fortune in inheritance money from their dead fathers.

- Full circle alert: The Monarch was a level 6 before all the BM stuff and he got dropped to 4. He is now a level 6 once again.

- Ketchup packet dream catcher by Helper for Dean.

- Burnt Mr. Reachy goes to college with Dean.

- Hank gets it from Rusty. Jumping off of tall buildings I mean.

- Rust 4 Life / Kate - Jackson - Meow. Kate Jackson was a main protagonist on Charlie's Angels.

- Hank Co. will never die... it lives on! Fuck, yes!!!

- The flowers now have a fake monarch on them. Dean's flowers for Hatred had a Blue Morpho on them. The animation design is just recycled and recolored to seem different.
But it seems clever to at least change the fake butterfly.
See: Hank and Sirena's ninja cups from their S6 date for another example. Best w/commentary track turned on.

- Hatred lives and sleeps in the lobby like a loser. B/c of course he does.

- Vigo Von Hellfire = Dr. Doom.

- Victor Von Hellfire/Helping = Kristoff Vernard aka Dr. Doom's adopted son. He isn't based on him exactly. But Doom's son bounces back and forth from good to evil. So it does all fit.

- 21 and the Monarch fly over the cargo ship from the beginning dream sequence.

- Gary Cole is playing Victor Von Hellfire. Gary Cole returns to [AS] as Harvey Birdman in an all-new special this Fall. Probably how they got him, he was already back around [AS] again.

- Monarch definitely uses the Guild Credit Union now. Fuck his old bank.

- Poster references galore!

- Where did the fake-out laundry room go BM activated to trick 21?
Now it's the regular cave again?!? Albeit painted up. Was there another switch in the laundry room?

- Two months later? Meaning it's now January in NYC. Not enough snow in the backgrounds. Epic Fail.

- Full circle alert: The former BM mobile is now a brand-new Monarch mobile. They even changed the doors to stay closed while flying. Yet again, it was destiny Malcom's dad had a flying car too.

- Helper is still the best underrated character. In the show and in the fandom.

- What new throne room? In S6 Monarch mentions this will be his throne room.
I really thought that room was going to be the Monarch's new throne room?
Looks more like his version of a slick expensive office.

- Very reference heavy episode. I left out a bunch of stuff.

Go Team Monarch!
Aug. 28, 2018, 3:49am
  • by Captain V
Corrections:

1. Pomade

2. Ambergris

Damn, I use to know this crap!
Aug. 28, 2018, 4:15am
On the photo from Prof. Von Helpings dad's it's signed; You are my greatest disappointment....
Aug. 28, 2018, 1:07pm
I don't think you can Sirena a "gold-digger" that's a woman who tries to gouge money from a man because the woman is poor. Sirena has a dad issue but not a money issue. It's not really clear whether Sirena is in love with Hank or is just amused by him because of his numerous and persistent attempts to evade her bodyguard and get to her. And it's not clear whether she see Dean romantically or a sympathetic friend who shares her issues with super-hero/super-villain fathers. Clearly Hank and Dean have the trouser tent for Sirena but it's not clear if it's reciprocated.

I wondered how they recovered the unconscious floating Rusty, as well. They could have sent out a helicopter or, what -- Helper has a built in helicopter. They could have sent him out to get him.

Speaking of Helper, I'm reminded of an R2D2 comment I one read. How hard would it be to install a vocalizer in him so he wouldn't have to beep all the time. Of course a Helper that could talk wouldn't be as interesting.

Maybe Red Death got the bounty as well as the price for keeping quiet about Malcolm's double life as the current Blue Morpho. Or maybe Malcolm blew through the bounty money as well as the Trust Fund while rebuilding his house.

Red Death blend of loving to kill people and his happy daddy at home kind of reminds me of another villain who dresses in red -- Deadpool.

Sirena being in a class with Dean is like Dean rooming with Brown Widow or that Ventech HQ is right across the street from Wide Whale. VB is premised on unlikely coincidences.

von Hellfire = von Doom is a suprise but makes sense. I was thinking the professor's was Baron Underbite at the time. Of course underbite was another Dr Doom reference.

I binge watched the season last night. One think I noticed, especially in the 3rd episode was how the byplay between Whale and his chief bodyguard resembled the banter between The Monarch and 21. Apparently super-villans need their confidents.

I always enjoy your summary of references to each episode.
Aug. 28, 2018, 3:55pm
  • by Aaaanon
  • (unregistered id: 7C3006FBD9)
Nicely done Cap'n.

Re: Ambergris -- good cartoons and of course Moby Dick (a whole chapter, as I recall). Maybe the Handy Dandy people follow Wide Whale around...

Anything Freudian rattling around with the "palm aid"??
Aug. 28, 2018, 9:02pm
  • by Aaaanon
  • (unregistered id: 7C3006FBD9)
Oh, & I'm holding out for a Miller's Crossing reference
Aug. 28, 2018, 9:05pm
  • by Captain V
I have it incorrectly written down alternatively as both palm aide and palmade in my notes. So... I'm just dumb.

However, lets say it was a Freudian slip.
Makes me seem more interesting and sexual.
Aug. 29, 2018, 7:41am
  • by zombiejesus
  • (unregistered id: 1EE1FB7753)
Fun fact: Ambergris is more likely in whale poop, not barf. Generally with an undigestible bit of a squid in it, usually a beak. It's kind of like a whale-pearl, and it develops so far down the digestive tract that it probably comes out from the exit, not the entrance. And not too many cases of anyone witnessing the ejection of ambergris.

I think Sirena (definitely Siren) genuinely likes Hank (in THAT way). We see her in her bra kissing him goodnight. She probably doesn't have many/any suitors because of her dad. Her friendliness with Dean is possibly for having another boy in her orbit who isn't daunted by WW.

The posters in Von Helping's office are great. My favorite: MAKE WHALES NOT BOMBS.

And, Kate Jackson was the sexiest Angel. The brains of the operation. Mrawr~
I went out and bought a second copy of this TV guide at the time:
https://metvcdn.metv.com/xGtdq-1472760796-embed-tv_guide_2.jpg
(No, I don't have it anymore. Yes, I am an Old.)
Aug. 28, 2018, 10:48pm
  • by zombiejesus
  • (unregistered id: 1EE1FB7753)
Ooh! Also, also, Vigo Von Hellfire's name is probably borrowed from Vigo the Carpathian, from Ghostbusters II.

Great article about the man from that painting:
https://deadspin.com/the-hateful-life-and-spiteful-death-of-the-man-who-was-1737376537
Aug. 28, 2018, 11:13pm
Holy crap, that was a good article. And I think you're right about the reference.
Aug. 29, 2018, 8:57pm
  • by Captain V
Good work everyone and thanks for the encouragement!

I enjoy reading all of your comments and notes.
Aug. 30, 2018, 8:34am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Eldarpvn unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 7:01pm
  • Eldarchm unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 4:12pm
  • Eldardjo unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 3:42pm
  • Eldarqex unlocked One Year Later Apr. 18, 2024, 9:57am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites