Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

After my second viewing, there was one line in it that confused me greatly.

"The poison in those darts is from the '70's."

Until this episode, I had The Monarch's DOB at September of 1961. In "Dia de Los Dangerous" we know that The Monarch "was a mere eight years old" when his parents plane went down and later in that same flashback that his birthday is in September (or perhaps October,) and that The Monarch's parents were alive to attend the Onassis Wedding in October 1968 ("Spanikopita!"). Because the plane went down in the summer, we can deduce that that happened at least one calendar year later.

If The Monarch's father was still alive in the 70's (and indeed the same Blue Morpho,) then that puts The Monarch's DOB even later.

Here's the trouble with that: How many years have to go by before you start referring to it as a decade? At the least, I would say two (seventies, plural). And in thus case, no more than six if we're working under the assumption that The Blue Morpho and Vendata are one in the same as Vendata was build probably no later than July 1976 (O.S.I. Love You). This is all important because both The Monarch and Dr. Venture attended State University at the same time. The younger we make the Monarch, the more improbable that happens.

We could make Rusty younger, but that gets hairy, too. We know his grandfather, Col
Lloyd Venture was already an established adventurer in perhaps his 30's or 40's no later than November 30, 1900, as he was on the same airship as Oscar Wilde (Orb). This puts his DOB in the 1860-70's, or early 1880's at the absolute latest. It's simple arithmetic from then on. We know Old Jonas died (or did he) in the mid 1980's. Assuming Col. Venture fathered late in life, the latest I can reasonably pin Jonas' DOB is the 1920's, which seems to fit as he seemed to be at least 40 or 50 in the 70's when most of Rusty's flashbacks begin.

Dr. Venture would've been born in 1960-61, as he was in his "44th year" in 2004. We know it was 2004 because it was a leap year like this year (Assassinanny 911) and an election year (... State Dinner?). Unless those events happened in 2000 (which is totally out of the question now) or 2008 (which also doesn't fit for a myriad of other reasons).

So, after all of that, if the Blue Morpho was around in 1971, that puts The Monarch's DOB at 1962, any later than that, and we run into some other problems.

That damned photograph. In it, Rusty and The Monarch appear to be not only around the same age, but at that age where kids that are a couple years older or younger are *clearly* older or younger.

Assuming The Monarch knows when his parents died (he would know, right?) We're getting pretty close to breaking continuity, here.

Or I'm over thinking it.
Feb. 29, 2016, 2:01am
You probably are for I do not know how far Jackson and Doc think ahead. It seems, to me, they leave things open--like who Dermont's dad actually is--so they can create in the future. For example, I am not sure they ever started with a "reason" for The Monarch [!--Ed.] to arch/hate Dr. Venture. They may have one now. My suspicion--which is mine--is that Rusty laughed at Malcolm's creative writing in class. Who knows.

So they may have some continuity flaws here and there which they are willing to deal with just to have a better story.

Nevertheless, compliments on knowing all of that!

I do suspect they have fleshed out a "back story" or something involving Dr. Jonas Venture and The Monarch [!--Ed.]'s parents. Though sometimes I suspect it is something Malcolm latch on to and without it he does not feel he has a purpose. I expected him to be jealous of his wife's success and all of that, but he does not seem to care. He only cares about arching Dr. Venture.

And, you know, we still have no idea who the Venture Brothers' mom is. I would not be surprised if Doc and Jackson never bothered to work it out since it is such a great "question" to leave open.
Feb. 29, 2016, 3:02am
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
My guess is that it's much simpler than that- he was exaggerating or bought some second-hand darts.
Feb. 29, 2016, 4:46am
  • by Chebghobbi
  • (unregistered id: 042447CB13)
Team Venture had to have met Morpho prior to them taking Spider-Skull Island for themselves in 1969, as Kano was a member at that point.

Also, according to the memorial outside Chuck Scarsdale's mansion, Wonder boy III died in 2006, and that was before the end of Season 1.

I think they're retconning the timeline so they don't have to age the boys two years every season. Remember they were biologically 16 in Hate Floats and Hank wasn't yet 18 in Pomp and Circuitry.
Feb. 29, 2016, 9:35am
I'm very aware of that, my contention is that the entirety of the series, even up to this point takes place between 2004 and maybe 2008. The boys were still 16 (going on 17) in "Home is Where the Hate is," which puts at least a portion of season 3 in the same year as as season 2 (depending on the actual birthday of the boys) and most of, if not all of, season 1.
Feb. 29, 2016, 1:08pm
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
Not likely though- there are references in later seasons to pop culture that happened within the last five years.
Feb. 29, 2016, 6:04pm
  • by TheSingulatarian
  • (unregistered id: 94E477E782)
I'm 51 (pretty close to Rusty's age), My father was born in 1924, My Paternal Grandfather was born in 1881.

Rusty's family tree is possible.
Feb. 29, 2016, 12:07pm
That's actually very conforting to me, it means that the time line in my head is all very plausible. Where I'm a little leary is that I'm thinking Lloyd Venture would've been born about 10 years before your grandfather, but it's not unheard of for men to father children in their 50's or even 60's.
Feb. 29, 2016, 1:12pm
Very possible. I have a friend who is 30ish, his father is almost 90. His grandfather was a very late father, too. Unlike women, men can father children until they die at any age. Over 50, the risk for your offspring to have mental health issues such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia is exponentially increased. My friend struggles with that, as does his father.
Feb. 29, 2016, 1:20pm
Which would also help to explain how old Jonas could switch from intense to jovial back to downright murderous so quickly as we've seen in various flashbacks.
Feb. 29, 2016, 1:24pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Jaowela unlocked One Year Later Mar. 27, 2024, 1:40pm
  • Antoniohkl unlocked One Year Later Mar. 23, 2024, 11:49pm
  • Antoniogux unlocked One Year Later Mar. 23, 2024, 7:14pm
  • Antonioonk unlocked One Year Later Mar. 23, 2024, 10:53am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites