Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

Okay, here is two questions:

Action Man: was he not suppose to be dead two years after the events of "Past Tense"--Season One--of a stroke according to Doctor Orpheus [Cue Cymbal Crash.--Ed.]?

Gary's Knowledge: I think quite a few people speculated that it was indeed the moppets who killed 24. So . . . why did Gary wait this long to gain revenge? Sure, it seems he came to understand that "24" what a now figment of his tortured imagination, but he seems one of the few loyal characters in the Venture Universe--"Ventureverse? Ventverse?" Why would he wait?
Jul. 22, 2013, 12:52am
You know, it seemed to me that he had already concluded it but pulled it out just to save himself from the other advancing henchmen. You know, like it was an opportunistic thing. In fact, his reverting to the Monarch seemed nothing but opportunistic. Until Hatred sent the flaming cocoon crashing into the Monarch's bedroom--and that may have been the greatest phrase I've ever had the privilege to write--he seemed to have no real plans on returning to the Monarch. He seemed touched to find that the Monarch or the other henchmen had saved him a t-shirt, but far from convinced that he should rejoin. In fact, are we sure that Gary is fully committed to the Monarch again?
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:01am
Sorry. The above is about Gary. I should have specified, as you asked about both Gary and the Action Man.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:02am
"Until Hatred sent the flaming cocoon crashing into the Monarch's bedroom" will probably be in the Urban Dictionary soon. >.<

Yeah, your point about the opportunism on Gary's part: like he used it as a convenient afterthought. Though that is what a True Villain would do. It seems like Gary has been looking to "belong." He belonged to The MONARCH!--okay, he was kidnapped!--lost his one friend and tried to be an ubber henchman rather than just an effective screwup.

So he leaves The MONARCH! disolusioned . . . dissolusioned . . . after PROM . . . sees Brock as a leader and joins--he thinks--Sphinx {SPHINX!} only to get dumped. He sort of makes himself a part of Venture, but not really.

Having written that he does not at all respond to Hatred--the scene reminds me of Fight Club. He seems to be just doing a job.

Okay . . . "tldr." Probably over thinking since I am sure Doc and Jackson did not plan out every minute detail back in Season One! The Henchmen were just that--random guys for which they had two cool voices they could riff with. Eventually, 21 and 24 became separate characters.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:09am
I think you're totally right about Gary's search for belonging. I think that may be the right interpretation: the traumatic event caused by Hatred made him see that, as sad as it is, he truly belongs with this villain who, despite knowing him for years, still doesn't know his name.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:16am
Speaking of Fight Club did anyone else make the connection at the end when they showed The Monarch's old house? I thought it looked very similar to the one in Fight Club!
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:51pm
  • by Doctor Y
  • (unregistered id: 681CA8D90C)
I think Gary's characterization is the most interesting in the entire show, for a lot of the things you pointed out here. Most of the characters live this life and are used to it to the point where it's humdrum and borderline annoying. Gary has time and again offered new perspectives on the villains chasing heroes motif, switching sides, losing his only friend, upgrading to badass. It feels to me more and more (especially in Doc episodes) that GARY is the real main character of the show.

Also: "disillusioned."
Jul. 22, 2013, 3:45pm
What about his hesitant, "I'm back"?

I think he is somewhat committed to the Monarch if only because he realized what we learned in the premiere: that he's the closest thing that the Monarch has to a friend, and vice-versa. It's especially sad since that friendship of Vatred would have given him that since of place he'd been looking for all season.
Fucking moppets.

More interestingly though, I don't think the Monarch is committed to hating Venture anymore. I believed the sad look at his picture more than his triumphant boasting in front of Dr. Mrs. His Boss.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:48am
I agree completely. Hatred had finally come around to Gary until Kevin fucked it all up. I don't know if we've seen the last of the moppets, but one can always hope. And as for your take on the Monarch/Dr. Venture scene, I think you're right. I don't believe for a second that the Monarch really feels he's beaten Doc. He was playing the role Dr. Mrs. the Monarch expects him to play. And he was staring awfully pensively at that old photograph.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:59am
Holy crap... what if Dr. Mrs. The Monarch joins up with The Council of 13 and GARY becomes the Monarchs #2?!?!?!
Jul. 22, 2013, 11:26am
I had already pontificated enough last night, but it seems to me that The MONARCH [!--Ed.] and many of the GofCI like to "play" villains. Sure, The MONARCH is happy to kill random henchmen, Wonderboy, his accountant, but Venture?

Recall the testicular torsion episode . . . no, I will wait . . . obviously there is no "point" to explaining how Doc/Brock and all get "out" of The MONARCH's trap. That is not the joke. But The MONARCH! seems a parody of the television Batman villain--"Ha!HA!HA! I will put you in a PLAYER PIANO . . . of DEATH!" An over-the-top "doom" or something.

It seems, over time, his hatred of Venture has sort of transformed. He was happy to try to blow him up in college. Now? Does he actually torture Venture? I think he realizes without an "enemy" there is no point to all his dress up and villainy.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:09pm
Action Man said that his wife died, so I think that validates one of the threads from last week speculating that Orpheus may have meant his wife.

With Gary, it's had to tell what's been going through his head. He was obviously angry and I think he just wanted to try something else for a change. When he found the Calamity Conference shirt, he realized how much better he had it there...even though Monarch can be a bit of a dick (as seen at the end when he didn't know who 'Gary' was).
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:03am
  • by Audrey
  • (unregistered id: 13711EC04E)
lol I actually took a quick look at the Past Tense episode on my itunes..Orpheus said he'd just have a stroke...not stroke and die....and as for Gary...I don't know...maybe after quitting as a henchman he was trying to forget all about the monarch world and 24 but then coming back to the cocoon he realized that he'd always be a henchman and had the opportunity at that very moment for revenge..but i could be wrong ^_^
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:08am
  • by superdick
  • (unregistered id: 681CA8D90C)
Nah, Orpheus said "... of a stroke," which implies death.
Jul. 22, 2013, 3:56pm
  • by Phreezer
  • (unregistered id: 9B9915BD65)
I get the feeling that after Operation P.R.O.M. Gary didn't want anything to do with the henchman life anymore. He was confused about his feelings for Dr. Mrs. The Monarch and his revelation that 24 was all in his head. This whole season he has been throwing himself at anything trying to get past his life as a henchmen. He helped the Sgt. Hatred, jumped into his sphinx duties, assisted Hank and Dermot in their crazy get thrown in the asylum plan, and was generally doing everything he could to stay away from the Cocoon. While his friend was killed he had nothing concrete on the moppets. I'm guessing he used that as a feint to stop the advancing henchmen.

I'm really looking forward to 2015 now. I want to see what happens next as Gary seems to be the only Henchmen who survived after the Cocoon getting hit with that missile and crashing.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:12am
Phreezer: that also makes sense. I would not worry about losing all of the Henchmen--they seem to find some way of getting tons of new ones every season.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:18am
Orpheus said, "Two years from a stroke." That is not necessarily a death sentence. I'm also assuming the perks of being part of the Venture team included great healthcare coverage.
Jul. 22, 2013, 9:11am
  • by beb off-site
  • (unregistered id: A678E20E7F)
While Action Man's death was prophacied ten years ago in our time, in Venture Time it's been *ROUGHLY* two years. Dean saws he won't date a 6 year old in response to Col. Gentleman;s comment about not dating someone a third your age. But considering how people round things, Dean could be anywhere from 17 to 19. If he's still 17+ then Action man has a couple months yet.

I kind of like the idea that Henchman Zero, Scott, was the one who killed 24. He could have infiltrated the Cocoon because he already had the costume. But there was some evidence that suggested the Moppets killed 24 earlier last season.

I'm not sure how long Gary has known that the Moppets killed 24. It might have been a sudden revelation, he may have made the charge just to deflect the other henchmen away from his treachery (ie, quitting the Monarch).

As for his return. I mourn the things he could have been - Sphynx Commander, OSI agent, Venture Bodyguard - but I can see why he had to return to the cocoon. Doc and Jackson need a minions point of view of life within the Cocoon to balance out The Monarch and DMtM. The creaters needed Gary back with the Monarch.
Jul. 22, 2013, 1:15pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Veronagis unlocked One Year Later Apr. 22, 2024, 9:31am
  • Veronadvg unlocked One Year Later Apr. 22, 2024, 6:49am
  • Veronaevx unlocked One Year Later Apr. 22, 2024, 5:27am
  • Veronapea unlocked One Year Later Apr. 22, 2024, 2:30am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites