Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by Dave
  • (unregistered id: 882803E594)
now here's something I didn't like in season 4:
The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch. They spend so much time building him up as a likeable antagonist in previous seasons ... and this season they nearly dropped all that and just turned them into these malevolent evil-doing cameos. not good. The Monarch always has been my favourite character, and I was disappointed he wasn't really in the finale at all.

I loved the story arc around S.P.H.I.N.X. (yes yes, alright: "sphinx!") and O.S.I. and I loved to see how Gary grew from being the fat nerd next to 24 to being a real warrior and all (also: the more emotional parts of the finale) ... but that whole 24s death thing didn't do for me, I would have rather done with a real solution on whodunnit.

that being said, I probably take the whole show too seriously by now ... it's supposed to be fun, right?
Nov. 23, 2010, 4:36am
  • by James(MonkeyMan)
  • (unregistered id: CFD8CD3D85)
Okay, we did get a lot of build up of character as far as The Monarch is concerned. The build up we received however showed how much of a douche-bag The Monarch really is, he threw out his long time lover based on her history even though he knew of it (he gained this knowledge when he wooed her in 'Shadowman No. 9'), he constantly neglected his henchmen throughout his career as an Arch (especially his two best men as declared by him in 'Now Museum, now you don't'), and his own vendetta against his arch has never been fully explained which really tells us that he hates Venture just because he doesn't like his face. Monarch is a dick, always has been, always will be; as far as Dr. Girlfriend goes... play 'Stand by your Man'.
Nov. 23, 2010, 5:07am
  • by Dave
  • (unregistered id: 882803E594)
that may be so, but he also always had his likeable traits, which -besides his megalomania and egoism- made him a rather deep character. somehow they abandoned that whole Monarch angle (after giving us interesting insights into his life) without really giving the character any closure. like we still don't know why he hates Rusty so much. I just felt a severe lack of Monrach throughout season 4, even though I KNOW that we had our fair share of his story in season 2 and 3. just a Monarch fanboi complaining, nothing more.

Also I felt kinda cheated with that whole "Mol suddenly turns up just to die" move. I hope she's not dead ... Brock and her deserve each other.

the episode was fabulous, sure ... but I had the feeling that it was too buy in some parts, and then again wasted too much screen time on elaborate throwaway jokes on the other hand. the pacing was off ... I'd say.
Nov. 23, 2010, 8:35am
  • by Mogo
  • (unregistered id: B50DB16F10)
The Monarchs been a bit off but I've noticed that he's been a bit more egotistical lately and been a bit more obseesed about venture but that's the point;The monarchs becoming more and more insecure as he ages and trying harder and harder. I'm still not sure why though.
Nov. 23, 2010, 2:02pm
  • by GrimGravy
  • (unregistered id: 38D6ECB1AE)
On the contrary, I admire that Brock has come to realize how he really sees Molotov. He's grown out of her and realized he's not amused with the games anymore much in the same way he realized he was no longer amused with the game of playing secret agent by OSI's rules.

He tried to have a very raw, honest moment with her and she decided she was going to threaten his friends and kill herself if the only other option was letting him win. She may or may not be dead, but even if she's not, Brock's not going to fall back into the game because he knows that ultimately Molotov only cares about herself and a relationship can't function on that.
Nov. 23, 2010, 9:14pm
  • by mr c
  • (unregistered id: 275997C699)
yeah that was an awesome moment when brock called Molotov on her bs
Nov. 24, 2010, 2:02am
  • by beb
  • (unregistered id: A678E20E7F)
My feeling is that they went too far in season 3 making the Monarch some kind of married suburbanite. A villain living in a gated community, attending houseparties and so on. So I think in season 4 they were way overboard in making the Monarch a badass.

As for taking the show "too seriously" - It's Art it has a higher Reality than reality (Plato's cave and all that). If we can't take a show seriously then it has no internal consistency. No truth. No beauty.
Nov. 24, 2010, 12:33pm

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Evaxke unlocked One Year Later Mar. 28, 2024, 9:12am
  • Evazul unlocked One Year Later Mar. 28, 2024, 6:42am
  • Evagsv unlocked One Year Later Mar. 28, 2024, 5:13am
  • Evaxiv unlocked One Year Later Mar. 28, 2024, 2:51am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites