Hey There, Mystery Person
Trying to vote on a comment, eh? You need an account to do that! You should totally get one! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in above!

The Original Venture Bros. News & Information Site

Comment Thread

Hey There, Mystery Person
Commenting anonymously is cool and all, but you should register an account! You'll get your own username and can participate in community stuff. It's awesome! Already have an account? Log in!
Name:

Web Site (optional):

Your Comment:

• by RetroWarbird
  • (unregistered id: 3B9A4F2D25)
Strange episode.

This definitely should've been our 2nd episode this season, since it doesn't peak quite as highly as the last two have, but I still enjoyed it. The usually fun dialogue. Dr. Mrs. The Monarch in her underwear the entire time. Henchmen talking about how 21 is like # 1, but keeps the name 21. Still, it was pretty anticlimactic, even while being funny.

24's ghost or possibly still being alive, huh? Nice.

I half-expect 24 to either be faking his death and a member of the Sphinx conspiracy, or else in a surprise twist, his ghost is trying to inform Sphinx when he meets the next person on the checklist - Brock.
Nov. 9, 2009, 6:31am
  • by Agent No
  • (unregistered id: 3CCC597331)
perhaps you had to be high, since apparently these are now "stoner series" shows according to adult swim.

but yeah gotta agree. Just felt like it kept building to something but never quite got there. I mean the Ghost of 24 thing was worth a "wait rewind that...." but still it was classic in a lot of ways but strange for the most part.
Nov. 9, 2009, 6:36am
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
  • (unregistered id: 2B2DEC558B)
I don't get the whole 'stoner series' thing either. But did you see the viewer bump about rerunning VB episodes during the week? That would be awesome!
Nov. 9, 2009, 6:49am
  • by the Venturer
  • (unregistered id: 20BA929C58)
Are you kidding?! Adult Swim is made for stoners! At least, that's always been my unofficial opinion. Using the Showtime inbetweens and calling it the Stoner Series is just them owning up to that fact, if you ask me.

This episode was another character-driven masterpiece. I love the Monarch in this episode! His heart to heart with 21 was really cool stuff. I like getting into his head in that way. Also, when he told the Moppets off, I laughed my ass off. Doc did good on this one!
Nov. 9, 2009, 6:57am
  • by Hobo
  • (unregistered id: 17BD9667E4)
The "stoner series" thing was a parody of AMC's "Original series" bump. They likely did it because the season finale of Mad Men was on tonight
Nov. 9, 2009, 6:58am
  • by the Vunturer
  • (unregistered id: 20BA929C58)
AMC! Not Showtime. Whoops.

But they've been doing it all week. Could still be because of Mad Men, though.....
Nov. 9, 2009, 7:03am
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
I think it's one of those faux prestige things, like the 'finer things' stuff in the Adult Swim Shop.
Nov. 9, 2009, 7:06am
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
They've been doing it for a lot of their shows the last few weeks. This is the first time for VB though. What I didn't get was the reference.
Nov. 9, 2009, 7:05am
  • by LikeATimeBomb
  • (unregistered id: EF8AEDCBBC)
it's a reference to the similar bumpers HBO, Showtime and AMC put before their shows. Class the place up a bit, ya' know.
Nov. 9, 2009, 7:57am
  • by LikeATimeBomb
  • (unregistered id: EF8AEDCBBC)
oop, but Vunturer basically told you all that already. heh.
Nov. 9, 2009, 7:58am
  • by MisterMostlyMittens
  • (unregistered id: 29B27474EC)
Even if it is a joke I don't like it being tagged onto venture. This show is about as opposite from stoner as you can get. it's just so damned...COMPLICATED and subtle
Nov. 9, 2009, 1:40pm
  • by Agent No
  • (unregistered id: 5A6F029517)
Yeah I got the reference they were making to the AMC, HBO, Showtime thing, but I think they could come up with something better than "Stoner Series"
Nov. 9, 2009, 4:49pm
  • by Joe
  • (unregistered id: D27323FDCE)
I also don't care for "stoner series" being tagged for VB.
I mean, I get it, it's joke. Very funny. I mean, stupid.

But it's crap like Adam Sandler movies that deserve to tagged like that.
Nov. 10, 2009, 12:36am
  • by Creepy Crooner
  • (unregistered id: C0BBF56792)
I think you guys are taking the "stoner series" joke too seriously. Nothing on AS is meant to be taken seriously really. At the risk of sounding like a "bit of a dick" again I've gotta say that the apparent pretension of some Venture fans is quite off-putting. These comments are kind of like saying VB is "above" stoner comedy or that stoners aren't capable of grasping the subtleties of the humour in the show. Just letting you know you come off sounding a bit like squares and it reminds me of the people who bitch about certain jokes or plot turns as if they are not in-line with the spirit of the show. These people need to write and produce their own shows if they have such a problem with the way Doc and Jackson choose to treat or mistreat their own characters.
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:40pm
  • by Chris98vf
  • (unregistered id: C668D0EDEC)
Dick... ;)
Well said, this is a show for many people, stoners to scholars to sound more like a douche than a dick.
Nov. 11, 2009, 3:32am
  • by Agent No
  • (unregistered id: 6B1B2A3D78)
There's a difference from being elitist and not wanting associating with something one deems "beneath them" and lumping everyone that supports something into one description.

It'd be like reports of the box office sales for the Michael Jackson doc being described as "Pedophiles come out in full force at the theaters this weekend.." or everyone that goes to a Dave Mathews concert concert being greeted with "Welcome Date Rapists!"
Nov. 11, 2009, 3:26pm
  • by Creepy Crooner
Haha! Okay, that was pretty funny (and I couldn't agree more when it comes to DMB) but are you seriously lumping stoners in with pedophiles and rapists? That's just retarded. It also doesn't affect the show in any way - its clearly just adult swim's not-so-subtle way of giving a shout out to their main demographic while simultaneously making fun of them AND satirizing AMC/HBO/Showtime/etc. and their self-important pretentious bumpers. Its really pretty hilarious when you actually take the time to think about it.
Oh and being an elitist is EXACTLY "not wanting association with something one deems beneath them".
Nov. 11, 2009, 7:42pm
  • by Agent No
  • (unregistered id: 590F2E2FA1)
Despite the "and" between I didn't mean any difference between elitist and "not wanting association". I mean....clearly.
Nov. 11, 2009, 11:45pm
  • by Creepy Crooner
Then what did you mean? You started the sentence with "there's a difference..." so what difference were you talking about?
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:14am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Ohhhh, nevermind - I get it now. It took some (Giantboy) detective work to decode taht first sentence but now I understand.
It still doesn't fly with me though. Adult Swim isn't calling you a stoner, they're just making a joke. Once again - this is a comedy show and its a cartoon. Lets not take anything too seriously now...
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:17am
  • by Agent No
THEN WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH?

I didn't get why everyone was calling you a dick before but you fuckin talk down to everyone who doesn't feel the same as you.
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:26am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Man, some of you people are sensitive! =) Call me a dick all you want! I don't talk down to anyone. We are here to discuss our differing opinions and I wasn't informed that we had to watch what we said and go out of our way to be sensitive to other poster's fragility. Again, my main point is that a bunch of people are bitching about something that actually has nothing to do with the show itself and coming off sounding like a bunch of conservative oldsters.
Nov. 12, 2009, 12:58am
  • by Agent No
if you honestly read through your posts and don't believe you are talking down to people then you're also an asshole.
Nov. 12, 2009, 1:08am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Hahaha! Give me an example. All I'm doing is presenting my opinion and engaging in spirited debate concerning the opinions of others. You're the one calling people names. =) seriously, don't be so sensitive.
Nov. 12, 2009, 1:15am
  • by Agent No
"but are you seriously lumping stoners in with pedophiles and rapists? That's just retarded"

" Its really pretty hilarious when you actually take the time to think about it. "

"I've gotta say that the apparent pretension of some Venture fans is quite off-putting"

I just think it says a lot that this site is full of differing opinion but I've only seen you get called out for being a dick. I've been disagreed with tons here, but you're the only one that talks to me like an arrogant prick. I don't care if you don't agree, and its why people come here. You just can't do it without being a condescending prick it seems.
Nov. 12, 2009, 1:39am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Okay, this is gonna be my last post on this thread since it's getting WAY too skinny. I just really need to address your points because in none of these moments am I "talking down" to anyone. Lumping people who enjoy smoking weed with criminals the likes of pedophiles and rapists IS retarded. No matter what your stance on drugs is, its just not even close; It IS really hilarious when you think about it! I could see how this sounded mean but I really wasn;t aiming it at you (or anyone in particular). My knee-jerk reaction to the Stoner Series thing was also along the lines of "that's kinda lame". It wasn't until the second time around that I actually GOT it. My observation of the pretentious attitude of some fans also was not aimed at anyone in particular - just the people who somehow think they could do better than Doc and Jackson. You, in my estimation, are not one of these people.
So there you have it, I am sorry if I am confident in my opinions and that comes off as dick-ish (although there was only one person that said that and it was preceded by "bit of a") and I am sorry that you seem so sensitive. At the end of the day I guess I just can;t abide squares. =)
Nov. 12, 2009, 1:53am
  • by ike
  • (unregistered id: DE410EB3DD)
just wanted to make it skinnier
Nov. 12, 2009, 3:43am
  • by cpc65
  • (unregistered id: C1880968BC)
Rent a room you two. Jeez!
Nov. 13, 2009, 1:21am
  • by Creepy Crooner
Just some food for thought - here is a list of "taboo" subject matter that Jackson and Doc have mined for comedy gold over the past 3+ seasons of VB:

child molestation, child death (including suicide and murder), torturing prostitutes, fetishism, bestiality, drug abuse, chronic masturbation, kidnapping, homophobia, prison rape, organ harvesting, dog fighting, mental retardation, infidelity and more.

and you guys are offended that they are associating the show with... stoners!!!? *gasp* heaven forbid. that is stopping pretty low ;)

Jokes, people. Comedy show.
Nov. 12, 2009, 1:43am
  • by The Mysterious 'H'
Wow. I didn't think it'd get that big. All I wanted to know was what it was a reference to.
Nov. 12, 2009, 8:49am

Latest Discussion Articles

Latest Community Threads

Newest Achievements »

• Fiver Fever
    Posted in all eight season five discussion threads within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Mike on Jul. 29, 2013, 2:03am
  • Five By Fiver
    Posted a comment in five or more season five discussions within a week of going up.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am
  • Season Fiver
    Posted a comment in at least one season five discussion within a week.
    Unlocked by Apple Mummy on Jul. 20, 2013, 2:53am

Social Experiments

Community Leaderboard »

1. hardyworld - 261
  2. The Mysterious 'H' - 231
  3. Mike - 226
  4. Ginger - 216
  5. Ron Bonham - 216

Commercial Break

Recently Achieved »

• Evaxke unlocked One Year Later Mar. 28, 2024, 9:12am
  • Evazul unlocked One Year Later Mar. 28, 2024, 6:42am
  • Evagsv unlocked One Year Later Mar. 28, 2024, 5:13am
  • Evaxiv unlocked One Year Later Mar. 28, 2024, 2:51am

Mantis-Poll »

What was your favorite episode of season six?
Voting for this poll has ended.

(334 votes)

Fan Sites